Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Calendar 10 - 2018

<  Oct, 2018   >
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
All about Lizzie

Lizzie
Interests: Triathlon, nice wine (ok, any wine), Southampton FC (accident of birth)

Henley 10k Race Report
Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:06 pm Lizzie
Feels good if strange to be writing a race report - it's been a while! My running has certainly improved over the last few weeks. I've been averaging somewhere between 9.30 - 10 min/mile pace, but I knew this was a hilly course, so 1:05 was my target. Sunday dawned bright and clear, and that meant frosty. The temperature was at freezing as we drove over to Henley and pretty chilly walking to the start.

Hanging around wasn't too bad, we jumped around a bit and didn't get too cold. During the first mile though, my hands felt absolutely freezing! I started off at a steady pace, I always find it hard to judge when I'm surrounded by other people. I had a quick glance at the garmin and felt I was running a little too comfortably, at round about 10.25 mins/mile, so I picked it up a bit!

Mile 2 is the start of the big hill. It's a bit legendary in these parts, and it is pretty long. The first part is reasonably steady, but it does get steeper and all in all is over a mile of climbing. I was glad I wasn't doing the HM, they get it at about 7 miles! Loads of people were walking at that point, but I kept plodding, wishing I'd done a course recce so at least knew how much longer it was going to be! It eventually levelled out though and after a bit of meandering, there was a pretty steep downhill. I picked up the pace as much as I could to try and make up a bit of time.

The rest of the course was pretty much flat with a few slight undulations. I was familiar with the last part of the course, the last mile or so is along a straight road back into Henley. I managed about 8.45 mins/mile over the last part of the race. There was a bit of a run around the field before crossing the finish line, which made the race a little over 10k according to my garmin. I finished in 1.03.46 which I was pretty pleased with given the course was long and the hill was steep!

So what next? I've pretty much decided not to enter Reading in March. I can't face another ploddy HM, I'd rather focus on speed over the winter in the limited time I have and enter a couple more 10ks, I'm pretty sure I could get under an hour on a flatter course. I'll probably enter another HM later in the year, possibly New Forest in September. I have some unfinished business there. I'm also thinking about entering (whispers) a triathlon next year.... Watch this space Very Happy Very Happy

KP Nut - Thanks!

Almost race time!
Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm Lizzie
It's the Henley 10k on Sunday and I'm really feeling ready for it now. I did my longest training run, 6 miles on Sunday and felt pretty good. I even squeezed in under an hour (59:22). My training route is quite undulating, but Henley has a big (ok, massive) hill in it, so I still think breaking 60 mins is unlikely. You never know though! Last training run this afternoon, dropping the girls with the in-laws and going out. I'd really like to do 4 miles, but if Poppy kicks off (like she did last week Rolling Eyes ) I might just do 3 as I don't like to leave her like that with them for too long.

Iíve done 3 weeks of bootcamp now and have been trying to do the 30 Day Shred 5x a week. Iím up to level 2 now on that and it is HARD compared to L1, lots of squat thrusts, plank jacks etc. Itís amazing the difference the strength work has made to my running though, it feels s Surprised o much easier. I lost just under a lb this week but I am noticing a bigger difference in my size/shape Ė my jeans feel loser and my tummy is definitely getting there.

Poppy is 6 months next week which is unbelievable. She is doing really well on the weaning, just lots of fruit and veg so far but sheís not refused anything. Iím looking forward to next week when I can start giving her some yogurt, meat etc, and introducing a bit more variety. Once sheís established on 3 proper meals Iím going to start working towards dropping the night feed. Itís not that bad, only once between 10.45pm (when I wake her for a feed) and 6.30-7am, but Iím starting to feel quite tired now and really need an unbroken night.

Daisy is doing well with the potty training too. The first week saw quite a few accidents, but they are few and far between now, she managed a whole 8 days without one last week.

Good times in the Lizzie household! Very Happy Very Happy

Pip Ė In the past I wouldnít have gone for the bootcamp either but Iím loving it, havenít had an endorphin rush like it for ages, and the fact it burns about 600cals in an hour doesnít hurt either Wink

KPNut Ė Kids and beaches are a definite winner, who needs Disney (apart from me maybe, I love Disney Laughing )?

Sue Ė Itís all good!

Getting faster
Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 pm Lizzie
Been a good few weeks. We had our holiday in the Isle of Wight which was really nice. We'd booked a cottage for 10 nights and it was fab, only 5 mins walk from the beach. The weather wasn't scorching, but it was pleasant and we didn't have much rain at all. Daisy loved building sandcastles and paddling! There's lots to do over there, and it was a nice break. We did eat a lot, and I put on a bit of weight, but managed to fit in 3 early morning runs along the coast which were lovely Smile

Mr Lizzie had the rest of the week off last week, so we decided to bite the bullet and start potty training Daisy Surprised . It's going reasonably well so far, I have had to do quite a bit of washing, but she only had one accident all day today, so that's pretty good. I started weaning Poppy too, which is going well, she's wolfed down everything I've given her so far! The sleep training went well, she's now down at 7pm so I've got my evening back, and has a dream feed at 10.45 and then wakes once for a feed, so I feel a bit more human. Daytime routine is also getting here, it was a bit difficult on holiday, but now we're at home we getting settled and she's sleeping in her cot more regularly in the day.

I've got back on the wagon since we've been back. I've started doing the 30 Day Shred DVD every day, which is pretty good. It's short and sharp, 3 6-min circuits (3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio and 1 min abs) and it's pretty hard. There are 3 levels and I'm on day 5 of level 1. I also went to bootcamp on Saturday morning, which was hard. It was basically outdoor circuit training, but pretty hardcore exercises and between stations we had to drag a tyre, commando crawl etc. I had a real endorphin buzz afterwards though!

I did a run on Thursday, and really wasn't feeling it at all, every step felt like a struggle and I only did 3 miles! I went out again on Sunday morning and thought I'd find it really hard after bootcamp, but something seemed to click and I ran 4.5 miles at an average pace of 10.22 mins/mile, which is the furthest I've gone and the fastest since Poppy arrived! I felt quite tired this evening, but I went out anyway for 3 miles and average 9.56 mins/mile, so getting faster and starting to enjoy it again Very Happy

Got my first 10k 2 weeks on Sunday. It's quite hilly, so I don't think I'll be able to break 60 mins, but I'd like to get close. I can only do 2 runs a week, so I don't have that many runs left between now and then. I just hope the other things I'm doing will help. I'm trying to decide whether to enter the Reading HM in March, or whether to wait and enter one later next year. I'll be able to run more once I go back to work, but that's in March, so I could build up to something in September maybe. Decisions, decisions...

Sue - thanks, not quite an Indian summer, but nice nonetheless!
KP Nut - Laughing
Pip - Sleep training isn't easy, but sooooo worth it, I don't know how some of my friends put up with their babies not settling or sleeping through the night for so long!

Is it quiet in blogland?
Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:16 pm Lizzie
I haven't visited for a while and even with nearly 3 months without a post, I'm still on page one! I have been in to have a quick peek at what's going on, but with don't often have enough hands to type so haven't been posting or replying much!

Anyway, been a busy few months! Poppy was 4 months last week which seems unbelievable. She has really started to be a proper little person rather than a newborn now, she's reaching for things, laughing and rolling over. Sleeping hasn't been great, but we started with some sleep training yesterday to help her self settle, so hopefully this is the start of me reclaiming my evenings and getting a break during the day when she naps in the cot rather than in my arms all the time.

Running has been a bit stop start. I followed my plan and was just getting up to continuous running, then ended up having a break for a few weeks for one reason or another (lack of opportunity, nasty case of tonsillitis). Anyway, got back into it now and managed my longest run so far, 4 miles on Friday morning. I've entered a 10k in mid-Oct to keep me motivated and then it'll be Reading HM in March. Realistically, I'm only going to be able to do 2 runs a week until I'm back at work in March, so I'm not expecting wonders. I'm averaging about 10.5 mins/mile which is ok.

I've cancelled my gym membership too, Mr Lizzie is now working in London and often not getting home before 8/8.30pm, which is just too late when I haven't eaten. The creche is quite expensive too, so I just wasn't using it. I've been walking 3 miles a day with the pram though and going to buggy fit and the weight is coming off. I was 2lbs off my pre-pregnancy weight last Weds and am hoping to lose them by my birthday this week Very Happy I'd ideally like to drop another 7lbs on top, so we'll see how it goes.

In terms of life stuff, we've booked a cottage on the Isle of Wight (it's practically abroad! Wink ) in September so are hoping for an Indian summer! We all enjoyed the Olympics and took the girls up to Hyde Park to watch the Women's Tri, we had a great view of the bike and Daisy really enjoyed it. It was a very long and tiring day, but we're so glad we went and got to soak up a bit of the atmosphere!

~   Last edited by Lizzie on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
I've been running!
Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 pm Lizzie
Ok, well not a lot of running, but running nevertheless Very Happy . I've been out 3 times this week, doing 4 mins walking/1 min running for 30 mins. The first session felt quite tough (heavy legs!) but already by the second session it felt easier Smile . The next three sessions will be 3 mins walking/2 mins running and so on until I'm running consistently for 30 mins.

This evening my run intervals were all under 10 mins/mile, with three of them under 9 min/mile so a decent pace for me. I'm hoping this approach will allow me to build up to a fairly decent pace this time, last time I was still plodding at 11 mins/mile after 6 months of running.

Lost another 2lbs this week as well so pleased with that. Went up to Westfield today and did a bit of window shopping, definite motivation for getting back to my normal size, then I can go shopping, yay!

Sue - Thanks!
pip - there were some quite hardcore people at the buggy fit class I went to after I had Daisy - it's definitely not the easy option!

Onwards and downwards!
Thu May 31, 2012 12:14 pm Lizzie
The weightloss seems to be progressing quite well, 1lb off last week and another 2 this week Smile . I was quite spurred on by the warm weather as I have very little to wear in the heat (well, not that I can get into anyway!).

The sunshine has been much more conducive to exercise and I've got out for a walk most days for round about 2 miles. I had my 6 weeks check yesterday and the good news is that all those exercises have paid off and my abdominal separation seems to have closed Very Happy Very Happy . The Dr couldn't actually believe that I'd had a separation 4 fingers wide. She's told me to keep up the basic exercises for another couple of weeks before I attempt anything more hardcore from an abs perspective, but I've had the ok to do other exercise, hooray!

So, tonight I'm venturing out for my first "run" since September. I'm going to take it a bit easier than last time round, rather than going out and trying to run 2 miles straight away I've worked out a run/walk plan. If I can get out there 3 times a week (should be manageable evenings/weekends) then hopefully I'll build up to 30 mins of running in 5-6 weeks and take it from there. I've got a 10k in mind for October, so we'll see how we go.

I'm going to wait until July to restart my gym membership, but they have a creche so I should be able to get there during the day. There are also a couple of weekly buggy fit classes which run not far from me, so I might try those too. Along with regular walking, hopefully a return to some sort of fitness isn't too far away....

Anyway, looking forward to a busy weekend. In laws are coming to us for a BBQ on Sat, we're off to my parents on Sunday for a birthday lunch for my Grandad (97 next week!). Dad has decided to cook a full Christmas lunch for some reason, so I'm glad the weather isn't going to be quite so hot! We have a street party on Monday and then friends over for a jubilee afternoon tea on Tuesday. With all that food, I really am going to need to exercise Rolling Eyes

Sue - somehow fitting structured exercise in seems easier than trying to find 5 minutes to empty the dishwasher - not sure why! Perhaps because I enjoy it more than emptying the dishwasher Wink
pip - It is still early days, I have to keep reminding myself of that as it seems to be flying by!

Is summer actually here?
Mon May 21, 2012 12:50 pm Lizzie
Wahay, looks like the temperatures are starting with a 2 this week Very Happy It's made such a difference over the past week or so having some better weather. It's not been that warm, but mostly dry here at least so we've been getting out and about much more.

I've started making a bit more of a start on the weight loss now. I've got about 1.5 stone to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and about another 5lb on top of that to get to my ideal. Week one went quite well (3.5lb off Smile ) and happily I now weigh less than Mr Lizzie Laughing

I'm back to using my online food diary to track my intake and I've been trying to do some form of exercise (mostly walking) every day, even if it's just round the block with the pram. I have my 6 week check next week, so I'm hoping I'm going to get the ok to get back to proper exercise and can start running and going to the gym again. I had a diastasis recti (separation of my abdominal muscles) after the birth, so I've had to do some special exercises and I'm hoping the Dr will be able to confirm that the gap has closed next week. I've been doing the exercises given to me my the physio fairly religiously, so fingers crossed they've been effective!

We're still getting lots of wake up calls in the night. Well, not so much lots of wake up calls, just that each one is for a long time (anything from 45 mins - 1.5 hrs by the time I've fed, changed nappies and got her back to sleep Rolling Eyes ). I'm starting to adjust though, I actually don't feel that tired most of the time, funny how little sleep you can get by on when you have to! Mr Lizzie takes her off my hands at the weekends so I have a chance to catch up (I still do the feeds, but not the nappies or the settling which is the time consuming bit!). I know it will come with time, I'm much more relaxed about it 2nd time round as I have more idea what to expect!

Enjoy the sunshine!

RiRi - I'm grabbing the odd daytime nap, although Poppy seems to time her naps when I can't, e.g. when friends are over or I'm going out!
Pip - Thanks! It is all a bit of a blur, time is just going so quickly.
Carlito - Thanks Smile
Sue - I'm quite good at dashing up to bed when the opportunity presents itself Laughing

Nearly 3 weeks already!
Tue May 08, 2012 1:17 pm Lizzie
Not sure where the time is going, but I've had my hands pretty full for the last 3 weeks and haven't had much of a chance to blog!

Poppy is doing really well, putting on weight nicely. Sleeping is a bit hit and miss. She doesn't like her moses basket very much, so the longest stretches I'm getting at night are around 2 hours, but the last couple of nights was only about an hour, then awake for 60-90 mins feeding, which is making for a very tired mummy!

Mr Lizzie's first day back at work after paternity leave today and his bl00dy company have sent him to Edinburgh, so I've been in at the deep end today! Luckily Daisy was more co-operative than usual getting dressed for nursery and Poppy has treated me to a 3 hour nap so I've managed to get a quick sleep in too Smile . Not looking forward to bath time with the two of them this evening though...

Thanks for all the replies!

She's here!
Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:27 pm Lizzie
Mr Lizzie is now officially outnumbered 3-1 after the arrival of Poppy Violet on Wednesday evening Very Happy Very Happy

Was all a bit of a rush in the end, we pulled into the hospital car park at 7.55pm and she was born at 8.27pm Shocked She was 8lb 3oz which is a bit of a whopper compared to her "big" sister who was only 7lb

Anyway, we are all doing well, pleased to be home last night and having quiet day at home today. Some piccies:

Due date today...
Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm Lizzie
....WHERE'S MY BABY??!!

That is all

Pip/Sue - Thanks, hopefully news soon!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next