Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk

Midnightman 2013
Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:43 pm BrilloPad
Midnightman Individual single iron distance - 27th/28th July 2013

Preparation:
For my blog up until enduroman June 2013 see http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/view.php?b=693.

I got sacked the week before endoroman so I had 6 weeks off to train. I had a swimming lesson with total immersion swimming - very very useful. I did lots of cycling. Alas at the end of my first week I went running and got carried away. 6 miles, 13 miles, 6 miles in 3 days. Day after that my left knee started to hurt. And nothing I could do to stop it hurting. 2 days before midnightman I went to see a physio - where the tendons meet the knee is incredibly sore - they have given strengthening exercises but I need to see a surgeon. Very upsetting as my right knee was operated on twice and was hurting alot until I started cycling which seems to protect the knees.

I slept Saturday afternoon but could not sleep - and had an urge to shave my legs. Gosh women do suffer! After 15 minutes I had to get Mrs BP involved and it still took her another 15 minutes. She suggested waxing.

Alot of empty bike spaces - apparently M25 traffic issues. But met a few of the regulars - and great to meet hammerer and funkster for the first time.

Everything seemed very well organized - top effort by John and the crew.

Swim:
Awaiting times but around 1:30 - I was delighted. 15 minutes better than last year. I did not have a great first 3 laps but then put my foot down. Someone was swimming all the way round the edge of the lake which helped me to keep up with them.

Bike:
Forget my gloves so go over transition twice. Very wet as I leave T1. Then there is lightening! Alas not towards the bridge but to the West - still really cool. On both lap 1 and lap 2. Then the rain really starts to pour down. Incredible number of punctures - but I have hard shells. Heavy - but as I can't fix a puncture its essential and paid off here.

I put waterproof cycle jacket on but way too warm. I have to stop to take off - still not sure if I missed the lap counter.

Turns are quite tough until the field thins out. I end up with 6 hours 10 minutes - 10 minutes better than last year. I took 13 high5+ gels on the bike - on top of 4 before the swim. And I had 4 litres of high5 drink. Just I well I have worked out how to pee while cycling - a tough skill but worth acquiring.

Run:
First 4 laps go very well. Everything feels fine. End of lap 5(out of Cool I know muscles are getting tired and need to eat. I am at 3hours 20 minutes so still on for a good time. I stop for 30 seconds for water and chocolate. My knee then totally stiffens up. I keep to the grass and walk in running motion where I can (seems to feel better than walking). 1.5 laps to go and I am in complete agony - but somehow I keep going. Last 3 laps take 2 hours 50 minutes - but I made it! So 6hours 10 minutes (from 5 hours 25 minutes last year).

Aftermath:
I get trophy for 50+! 2nd place! Totally surprised - I am delighted. Makes the knee agony worthwhile. Total time of 13:55. 20 minutes down on last year.

I had to use bike as a crutch for left knee!

Took Dallas(who got 2nd place female) to the DLR station. Many congratulation to Dallas for getting 2nd placed female - very well deserved. Though when we dropped her at Lewisham her final words were "you are minging too" - to be fair after I called her minging (a reference to last year when she refused to give me a hug as she was "minging" - though she smelt 100 times better than me.

Before wife can take kids to Wales I have to get them to put all my stuff away. Then bath and sleep - 5 hours and I feel fine apart from left knee. Its better - but I still can't put full weight on it. Going to be a fun next few days.

Next:
Double Brutal in 8 weeks. I intend to do the swim, cycle and go up/down swowden. Then see how the knee feels. Then see a surgeon. At the moment it looks like after that I will need surgery - and in that case I will give up running(its bad for my back too) and probably stick to cycling. This coincides with our move to North Wales where I won't have health insurance.

Summary:
Well done John, Mark and all the marshalls. Loved the event. I still hope to be there next year.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:54 pm Toyota_Crown
bad luck on the knee packing in, hope its nowt. you were going brilliantly till that point. well done m8ey

WTF are hard shells, some kind of tyre?
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:53 pm theprawn
Why did you get sacked?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next 

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.