Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Absolute beginner
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bokkeuk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it b-f-c!

Coming into tri fairly late - 40ish - I soon discovered that it is generally a very inclusive sport - most people are really friendly and helpful.

Secondly, never judge a book by its cover - you see all shapes and sizes in all distances - and apart from the really fast guys and girls (sob) most of us compete against our own targets...

You might only be starting out and everything seems very daunting but the human spirit is an amazing thing - just set realistic goals and accept that without bad days you wouldn't have good days! (unless you're Alistair Brownlee!)

Good luck

Ps No - I'm not p@ssed on a Friday night!

Smile
Gazzer1uk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been telling myself for 5 years that I am going to do a triathlon and have been on this forum for about that amount of time. Plenty of excuses, plenty of "reasons" but all are excuses. I am quite short and stocky but was just over 17 stone..... in 2011 I did the Scottish Coast to Coast, not like a triathlon but did feature running and cycling..... I worked up to it, didn't train brilliantly but I got through and did it.....

I have paid to do the Blenheim twice, had to pull out due to injury the first time but rescheduled and still didn't do it. Since then, I've been out of work for 9 months though survived due to redundancy pay out, my father has passed away and I have been totally miserable..........

But the last 6 months have been improving as I have told myself never ever give up....... you can do what you want, but its not the idea that counts its the action.... I joined a try club at the beginning of the year.... have not gone once, and kept saying, well, I need to lose some weight first, start the swim and the bike first, then the running..... In truth I did bugger all....

But, I have now lost nearly 2 stone and today, I did a 20k MTB training loop, in about an hour and 10 minutes..... I can hardly sit down and I keep cramping, but I actually feel the corner has turned.

I'm saying all this because, it doesn't matter when you do one, it matters that you try to do one, and that will take different people different time. Finishing quickly doesn't matter, finishing is the goal. At your weight I have an inkling of the stages you may go through, but if you can think of the end result, that will be motivation in the extreme... because you are doing it for yourself.

Get some direction and help from a good expert source, and I think many try clubs have coaches these days willing to help, set realistic goals, and challenges, don't put yourself off in the early days, and I wholly and utterly wish you the very best outcome in your endeavour!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my story: I am 44 years old and just 5'8'' tall, 12 months ago, I was 15 1/2 stone (96kg), I had started running parkrun in July that year, so knew I could run 5k. On a whim, with no preparation, I took part in the Portland Sprint Triathlon in October 2015, using a borrowed bike, and surprised myself by really enjoying it. 12 months later, I weigh just over 12 stone (77kg), I have just completed my first Half Ironman (in 5h31m), Over the past 2 months, I have been in the top 25% of the field and finished in the top 8 for my age group, I even finished one event 3rd in my age group in a race in July.

I have been pushing myself to the limit - I injured my knee in the Autumn, then I pulled a calf muscle around Christmas, then pulled it again in Feb due to training too hard to early, I reduced my training in April due to a sore hip, then I pulled my calf again in June (minor this time). All my injuries have been running. For the past 3 months I have been injury free.

I haven't gone on a diet, I didn't need to, I now look at a meal and think how much training I need to do to burn all those calories off and my food intake is self regulating, but I am not constrained by being on a formal diet, and can eat what I want... I just want less and drink less. It works for me, but know that may not work for others.

I love being lighter, and I love being fitter. The people at my local tri club are fantastic.

The great thing about triathlon is that there is always another challenge. At the start, a Sprint Tri will be a challenge, but most people can complete a sprint, later you may want to set your sights on an Olympic, you will need to train to do that, but with training most people can do an Olympic distance.

Please do it, it has the potential to change your life
pip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick q - do you want to lose weight or do a triathlon? They dont have to go together. I have always found weight loss is mostly about what i eat, not exercise. i can train for a marathon and put weight on BUT the exercise is one of the best single things that you can do for your health.

Google danceswithfat. It's a lady who i follow on FB and she is a 'fat activist'. She is training for an ironman and not intending to lose weight (she is big). I find some of her commentry very interesting.

Good luck with it all. I bet you'll love triathlon.
Groovy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy called Yassen Hassan on Facebook (he's in "The Ironman Wales Journey' group). He's a big lad too but finished IM Wales in 16.45. For sure you can do it - start small, build gradually, take care of yourself, and there's no telling how far you'll land up going!
b-f-c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip wrote:
quick q - do you want to lose weight or do a triathlon? They dont have to go together. I have always found weight loss is mostly about what i eat, not exercise. i can train for a marathon and put weight on BUT the exercise is one of the best single things that you can do for your health.

Google danceswithfat. It's a lady who i follow on FB and she is a 'fat activist'. She is training for an ironman and not intending to lose weight (she is big). I find some of her commentry very interesting.

Good luck with it all. I bet you'll love triathlon.

I want / need to get healthier. I want to do this tri, and if I lose weight in the process then all the better. I want to be fitter, and I guess I'm hoping there might be a bit of weight loss along the way. The want / desire to do this is growing, and I'm hoping will be a catalyst in losing weight

I've found her blog, along with a few others too. There certainly seems to be a few people following a similar route,

I've found Yassen's profile, amazing, will read it properly later

I'd started making approaches to the local tri club, but still feel a 'bit of a fraud' as I'm still only doing basic walking cycling to improve my general fitness. At least I've had the all clear from the GP today - no scary stuff lurking.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-f-c wrote:

I'd started making approaches to the local tri club, but still feel a 'bit of a fraud' as I'm still only doing basic walking cycling to improve my general fitness. At least I've had the all clear from the GP today - no scary stuff lurking.

I'd imagine it depends on the club. There are certainly some clubs out there that try and aim to be elite, but my club has multiple Kona qualifiers yet still offers couch to 5k style programmes. You just need to find an inclusive setup. There will definitely be a club out there which will welcome you ... most I would imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: