Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyjsg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Suffered in the second half at Reading yday for a 1:19:25. The wind obviously didn't help, especially combined with the long slightly uphill drag around 7-8 miles in - definitely was a day for strong legs!

Think I need to up the mileage if I do another half in autumn so that I can hold the speed in the back end of the race. I'd done more volume this year than last (when I did 1:18:3x) so was hopeful of an improvement but probably I'm at a similar level of endurance, and went off too quick yday for the conditions - still no regrets, it's good to roll the dice!

Enjoyed the race though - now they've got a sub 1:25 pen it's very relaxed to get a decent place in the start pen, and the logistics are fantastic. Plus there's a decent field so nice to be warming up with the elites Smile Saw Johnny Hay walking back from Reading town centre just after halfway - hope he had a lift waiting otherwise that would've taken a while.

Good running everyone else on a tough weekend - hope those building to the marathons didn't push too hard in the conditions!

Sorry I missed your other post, so didnt keep an eye out for you.

Yeah so the wind was tough and for some unknown reason I decided for the first couple of miles that I was a better runner than I actually am and went out at sub 17 5K pace and then proceeded to explode taking me another 3-4 miles to compose myself and get back into it. Recovered to a 1:18:15 (PB by 1 1/4 min), but man thats the dumbest race Ive ever run - lesson learnt.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat - I'm with you on the compression tights - I'm just glad that I can wear trousers to work. It was only yesterday that I decided that if I ever wrote a book about my mad way to getting faster and older I think it would probably be called 'My Life In Compression Tights'!

The wind was definitely a factor on Sunday so god to see some positive results. Ashby went ok for me, faster than last year but only good enough for third place (can't compete with those young things). I was a bit disappointed by a one minute twenty second improvement as it definitely felt like harder work than last year but the wind was bad especially on the second lap and I had forgotten that I ran Silverstone quite hard a week ago. Obviously didn't overdo it though as was able to do a comfortable 20 miles this morning in biblical weather at times - glad we didn't get that yesterday!
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good few results this weekend, especially given the wind.

2nd half on the bounce for me,

Last week Bath 1:17 good enough for somewhere in the 90's. Clearly a stacked field. This one was more of a "local field".

This weekend was the first time I was pondering race tactics. Looking at the previous results it looked like a 1:17 something would put in the running for a "prize" for first old man. So apart from the 20k run Friday night and the 17k Saturday morning, I tried to take the run quite seriously.

I started right at the front. Obviously it was very windy, so I knew drafting would be a good idea. Anyhow, I buggered that up at first and let the first four come past and they formed an nice little group temptingly close, so tried catch them in the first couple of miles but failed, (they split up not longer after anyhow).
So settled down with someone else and basically drafted as much as I could (both morally and given the wind at some points there was no escaping).

I knew the it was roughly down hill from 8 miles (prior to that you would describe it as undulating uphill) and then the bonus of the wind behind for the last few miles as well.

So around 8 miles I could then see we were gaining on 4th so had another dig to try and catch him and also to drop my companion. But failed on both counts.

Then around 10 miles my companion dropped me, with him and 4th looking like they held 5:30 min/miles for the last 3 miles. (Some Strava stalking has subsequently told me that they have pb's of 1:15/1:16 respectively, so quicker than me on paper).

I think because of my natural aversion to intervals my legs just don't turn over that quick! Probably something to work on then... Also I suspect I had burnt a couple of matches with the two previous hard efforts.

Anyhow came in 1:18:17 in 6th, looked around and figured one of the first 5 was also old so went home. But it turns out they weren't so first running trophy for me is available!

Followed that up with 26k in the arvo as well as I am aware of my lack of a "long run" for two weeks in a row. One tough day all round. But I seem to be in good form overall, just need to recover a bit now...
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pot hunting YKK:-)
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
Nice pot hunting YKK:-)

Yep, mighty impressive....

And with you on the compression too Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1h18 with a casual 26k thrown in later in the day. I'm on the wrong sub 3 thread.
Smile
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
1h18 with a casual 26k thrown in later in the day. I'm on the wrong sub 3 thread.
:)

I would have thought that might point towards a sub-3? Especially after 37k over the previous 2 days.

Meanwhile... I am back on the road, taking it a bit gingerly. Fortunately the run that gave the knee pain was the last long run, so stretching more, trying to exercise the quads as much as poss in the next couple of weeks.

Aim is now for a GFA place at next year's London, with a secondary target of a BQ.
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was implying that's a great day, pointing towards better than sub-3? Unless I'm mistaken.

Great running YKK and LMH. Looking strong
Tri it man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cracking runs this weekend in the gale force winds, YKK, Andy, LMH, Oranje. Race tactics were required for sure. .
Ran Fleet half like Oranje. This was certified as correct distance from course certificate http://fleethalfmarathon.com/images/2017/Certificate_2017.jpg so garmin numbers always need taking with a pinch of salt and have found my 920xt always undermeasuring my runs since I've had it, including races.
I have not run much in last 7 weeks due to nasty Achilles problems so training has been a mixture of wattbike, road bike and x-trainer with the odd run when I feel I can. Definitely not ideal prep for London which I have binned looking for a time and will run to maintain the qualifying time to get in next year.
1.24.39 at Fleet with quicker last 3m around 6:09/10 catching lots of people who were tiring. 8.5min down on course best but considering the little running I've done it's a positive result. Achilles gave me some grief next day though.
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I think he was implying that's a great day, pointing towards better than sub-3? Unless I'm mistaken.

Yep.. sorry...epic running. I guess this thread caters for the sub 3 aspirants like me... and then the real runners like YKK Wink

Last edited by twhat on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri it man wrote:
garmin numbers always need taking with a pinch of salt and have found my 920xt always undermeasuring my runs since I've had it, including races.

I've actually found that too. My 910xt always used to read a bit long, but the 920xt definitely errs on the shorter side (unless I'm at the track).

I prefer it that way. The big no no according to DCR are watches that consistently read long, and I'd agree in particular for races.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Achilles issues Tri it man.

I'm always a bit worried if a race measures short on my Garmin - more than one with a valid certificate has subsequently been proved to be short.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Yep.. sorry...epic running. I guess this thread caters for the sub 3 aspirants like me... and then the real runners like YKK :wink:

Yes, I understood. I didn't think anyone could mistake that for anything other than waaaay below 3!
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri it man wrote:
Ran Fleet half like Oranje. This was certified as correct distance from course certificate http://fleethalfmarathon.com/images/2017/Certificate_2017.jpg

So was Manchester. When there is a consistency to the under measuring by Garmins, might it raise a question?
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good running at the weekend, and hopefully people going in the right direction. It's hard to get a good judge of your form when you are running without a taper and tired.

I did Thirsk 10 with the same wind torture most others had, after 5 miles I turned and got a tailwind for about 4 miles (1 mile back into the wind!). I went with the aim of getting about 67 and finished with 66:50 so was quite happy. There was some poor racing by a lot of other people as I thought there could be a steady group running at that pace. A lot went off for too fast and after about 2 miles I was going past people as they blew up until the finish.

So tapering now.

Has anyone got their Manchester number yet? I got an email saying it was sent last week but not seen it yet.

Hard to tell what shape I'm in after 3 hard weeks, 10 miles at MP wasn't too bad, another 16 would have been a challenge, and I can't afford for it to be that windy on race day. But in the last 10 weeks I've average more than my 3:00:34 PB so hopefully enough to find those 35 seconds.

But, the aim is sub 3 and that is what I'll be going for.

London is the backup, if Manchester is going pants I'll ease up, or if I come down with anything etc.

Almost time to start watching every weather forecast and picking the one I want. This weekend would probably be excellent, looking calm.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363  Next
Page 359 of 363

Jump to: