Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetsuits - how long does yours last?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Wetsuits, how long do yours last?
1-3 years
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
3-6 years
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
6+ years
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 20

SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one was a Foor ex hire which I don't like at all. It is about 10 years old now and lent to anyone! Still going strong!

2XU E1 - lasted quite a few years - 5 ish. Had a seam start to go on the shoulder which I stitched and glue and kept it going.

2XU - V1? expensive and garrotted me despite being the same size as the above and was got rid off after a few swims.

Orca maybe an S3? - it is a men's one and has a stripey blue arm! It was about 400 when I bought it. It's about 4 now and showing signs of age! I've spent the winter restitching the reinforcing points back on as they are coming unglued! I had a rip coming and realised a bit of effort now on the reinforcing points might extend its life a bit. I like the suit very much to swim in and after the hassle replacing it last time want to keep it going as long as possible!

I rinse through asap after every use and dry it thoroughly, inside and out.

At the end of the season I put it in the bath and wash it through with baby shampoo in not too warm water. Rinse carefully and dry thoroughly. Stored inside out rolled in a bag.

I always put them on from inside out and never ever pull the outside, only ever the inside. I would never lend my current one to anyone either.

Weirdly this one has a line of oil down the inside of the chest. I think it is where I've chucked it under my bike in races!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antht wrote:

I never use petroleum jelly or anything that will degrade the neoprene

So where did you get that advice? Mine has lasted 9 years (so far) using only petroleum jelly, and Snugg confirmed it was fine to use it. Tbh, I only use it in races around the cuffs, to get it off quicker; other than that I don't need anything to stop chafing.
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
antht wrote:

So where did you get that advice? Mine has lasted 9 years (so far) using only petroleum jelly, and Snugg confirmed it was fine to use it. Tbh, I only use it in races around the cuffs, to get it off quicker; other than that I don't need anything to stop chafing.

Petroleum jelly and wetsuits is one of those divisive subjects like wearing a helmet on the bike, Left vs Right wing etc Smile

I don't know anyone who has used on a suit and then regretted it. I have always used it for years and my suit is fine. I know plenty of other people too. I use trislide a lot also but only because it comes in a spray and is easier to apply.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's from people who have rubber wetsuits, not neoprene, rubber and oil don't mix.

Therefore, I think we can conclude everyone who says avoid vaseline is a rubber fetishist who uses real rubber outfits outside of triathlons.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

three* suits have lasted well since the first was made for me in Cyprus in about 1990

*i recall buying an Aquaman suit after a race in 2003 but can't believe i was still using my 90 suit so there was possibly a 4th...

Still use the Aquaman for training occasionally, with a Helix for racing...

Used vaseline for years... Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
antht wrote:

This has been my experience also. I had an 'anti chaffe' neck from years of surfing in Oz but I am soft as butter these days. Embarassed Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Used Vaso on every race

After you flipped a few snags on the barbie with a cold stubby right?
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Used Vaso on every race

After you flipped a few snags on the barbie with a cold stubby right?

Absolutely, all whilst standing around in my thongs Very Happy
david1273

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my current Orca Sonar since the start of 2013, I've repaired a few nicks over the years but it will certainly do this year. I might retire it as a racing suit after this season but as my swimming is barely beyond rubbish anyway then maybe not!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to have a black-witch session last week, as when I turned my suit the righ way out after a winters' storage (and re-hydration of course!), I found quite a few micro splits on the lat panel under arm seams. All sorted now, ready for season 10 Cool

Black witch is really amazing stuff.
SF

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan wrote:
Over the last 20 years I have 4 or 5 made to measure Snugg Slipstream wetsuits as I find it hard to get a good fit with any off the peg wetsuits. I do look after them and only change them when my body shape changes or if they have got too many nicks or tears. Snugg are also very good at making repairs at a reasonable cost. They wear well and are really easy to get off. I also get them made with zips which fasten downwards as they are easier to remove. As I swim at least twice a week in a lake I also have a cheap Orca which I wear but it is slightly too big for me so I wouldn't race in it.

I've had a couple of Slipstreams. Really good suits. I still have my very first one which must be 15 years old and to be fair it's knackered. My most recent one is maybe 9 years old? I could probably get away with using it a few more times before it gives in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: