Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cycling shorts over tri suit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flee

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

I'm worried that the minimal padding offered by tri suits will not be sufficient for longer rides. It's just about okay up to standard distance but I think I'll need to wear another pair of shorts over them for half and definitely full distance - does anybody else do this?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - it will make it less comfortable as you will have 2 layers that can move around

just train with the tri shorts - relevant parts will toughen up and over time you won't find a problem.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn to sit properly and, whilst this won't remove all friction, it will at least reduce it...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a more suitable saddle.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:
I'm worried that the minimal padding offered by tri suits will not be sufficient for longer rides. It's just about okay up to standard distance but I think I'll need to wear another pair of shorts over them for half and definitely full distance - does anybody else do this?

I presume this is a troll.
Wrong on multiple levels.

Get a different tri suit, and/or a different saddle.

Padding does not equal more comfort.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:

No
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it on most IM races. I actually use my TT skinsuit on top of my trisuit under my wetsuit, that's a mouthful. I leave the arms off and pull them up on the way to T2, aero benefits, and means my forearms are covered from the sun during the bike (also had a drinks bladder down it).

In he past I also used a standard pair of shorts and took them off in T2. Mostly these days I'll just go with the trisuit for 70.3 as per the other comments the saddle and fit are better and I've got used to it, and the chamois isn't too bad.

Jeff
Flee

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:

What a strange presumption!

Spoken to a few people since posting this, that do wear additional padding for the bike... So I presume it's not as clear cut as you make out.

Tri suit is great. Saddle is great. Ass sat on saddle for 7 hours... Not so great.

But I will work on saddle position to see if I can improve comfort as I agree with you all that just a trisuit would be the preferred option. Thanks.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Spoken to a few people since posting this, that do wear additional padding for the bike... So I presume it's not as clear cut as you make out.

Tri suit is great. Saddle is great. Ass sat on saddle for 7 hours... Not so great.

But I will work on saddle position to see if I can improve comfort as I agree with you all that just a trisuit would be the preferred option. Thanks.

changing saddle position (and maybe saddle) is good to try but for comfort with tri shorts you just need to train the body to cope. many of us would prefer to do long distance rides in tri kit as bizarrely, it CAN be more comfy as you get a little more "intimate" with the saddle and the pad rucks up less than some of the big padded standard bike shorts. but again, that comes down to training for long rides and putting up with some short term discomfort as the body adapts.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to clarify my 'suitable saddle' comment. By that, I mean that a saddle that is well suited to your anatomy, will mean you can use a thinner pad. I have also found, that with split nosed saddles, well padded expensive road shorts are not necessarily the best answer, because the thick heavily contoured pads (which are meant for firmer traditional saddles) just mean you are slipping around on the two saddle 'prongs'. You're better having a thinner tri pad on these twin-pronged saddles, so you don't get that lack of 'cohesion' between saddle & pad.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Flee wrote:

I'm also surprised your immediate reaction is "troll". Why? It's actually been asked on here before.
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99324

I, and others, have done it in the past for longer stuff. But as I said on that same thread, experience has taught me since that a more premium pair of tri shorts has a much more suitable pad than what I got in my very first pair of dirt cheap tri shorts, which was nothing more than a double thickness layer of the compression fabric.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

do you need/want to wear a tri suit?

not sure if you're a "competer or completer"?

plenty of people change into bike shorts in T1, then change again in T2 for the run in the IM's that I've done - and this is what I have done.

you'll probably lose a couple of minutes and i'm sure there's plenty of folk on here that'll frown about it but unless you're FOP better to be comfortable than in pain just to look the part.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

it is clear cut, it's just some athletes would rather talk themselves out of fixing the problem.

If you are already riding such duration, can we assume that you are close to race day? if so, don't make massive changes...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
dss123

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cycling shorts over tri suit? Reply with quote

Flee wrote:

Try it in training Flee and if it helps then go for it.

I've done it before when I had a tri-suit with minimal padding. The suit was super comfy for running but not so much for 112 on the bike.

Think I went with a pair of tri-shorts with a thin pad over the top and wore them under my wet-suit.

Then just whipped them off at the start of the run. Super speedy and worked a treat.

Many people would struggle with comfort over long bike rides without a good pad, but would not really want the same pad for the run.

There is no right or wrong - if it works for you then do it!

Some of the replies you've had are most odd.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have said, if you're gonna try it, do it as early as possible before any major race in case there are any adverse effects.

I found that lots of long rides + plenty of minty bum cream + adamo saddle worked well for me.

I also have MrsFoul spank my perineum regularly with a wooden spatula these days. I find it helps me harden up quite quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: