Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How much should I eat/drink in an Ironman and when
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldo wrote:
Practice in training but bare in mind it is hard to simulate true race pace in training. When it comes to the race I have found in my two ironmans that I have felt pretty rough by the time I got onto the run

are these two sentences possibly connected?

IM pace is more achievable than other distances..

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jc
God i hope so.....
I used to start my Olympic run splits at 165 bpm in a World of pain, knowing i had under 40 mins left made it bearable ish....
With my first long ish distance on the horizon, I would need to hit the run with a lot more in the tank.
Does the 1 g per kilo apply to 70.3?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Jc
God i hope so.....
I used to start my Olympic run splits at 165 bpm in a World of pain, knowing i had under 40 mins left made it bearable ish....
With my first long ish distance on the horizon, I would need to hit the run with a lot more in the tank.
Does the 1 g per kilo apply to 70.3?

with lots of caveats such as intensity of exercise, state of current ingestion, hydration, practice, and body mass, the body can ingest up to 60g of carbs per hour...

Wells

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy with one bottle for water at Austria knowing I could replace it every 20k, in his is obviously a very personal thing. Then decanted my gels into second bottle and marked it up so no wrappers to open/drop. Also trained in last few months with gels I would use on the day taking them at similar expected intervals to condition/get an idea of how they would affect my GI tract on the day.

Good luck. Great event and venue.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60g/hour is glucose absorption; assuming you can absorb a full 1g/min. The 90g comes from various research & marketing whereby you use a mix of sugar sources, the most often found is maltodextrin/fructose to offer up to 90g/hr in theory. Fructose is found naturally in fruits, and too much can irritate the gut in some cases. "YMMV" as they say on Slowtwitch.

It's all a bit of a minefield, sports nutrition, you can get yourself wrapped around the axle trying to get it right, or just understand the science vs the marketing.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
The 60g/hour is glucose absorption; assuming you can absorb a full 1g/min. The 90g comes from various research & marketing whereby you use a mix of sugar sources, the most often found is maltodextrin/fructose to offer up to 90g/hr in theory. Fructose is found naturally in fruits, and too much can irritate the gut in some cases. "YMMV" as they say on Slowtwitch.

It's all a bit of a minefield, sports nutrition, you can get yourself wrapped around the axle trying to get it right, or just understand the science vs the marketing.

the science is the marketing...take a peak at who funds the work and, in some cases, the whole lab...

jay clock

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slow and steady. Actually very slow and not very steady. Also doing Austria this year and same age. Did it in 13:21 in 2011 and done two more IMs at 15:03 (39 degrees and non wetsuit) and 14:20

My nutrition is about 4x High5 Isogels on the bike and 2-3 CLif bars. At my first (fastest) IM I also had a sandwich and Snickers in my special needs bag

Drinks I take 2 bottles of High5 4:1. I don't trust them to mix the Powerboat to a decent strength and some of the flavours are foul. I take a couple sachets of powder and stop to mix more up if needed

Run (ok walk!) is 6 o7 more Isogels. Plus coke and water. And whatever else I fancy food wise

See you there!
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those eating solids how do you carry the food on race day? At least gels/small bars can fit into tri suit, but wondered how you carry anything bulkier like bananas/sandwiches, shy of stopping in T1 to put on a cycle jersey with pockets.
PCP

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Darkspeedworks top tube bag http://darkspeedworks.com/sp483.htm , cut my bars up and put them in there. Gels in pockets on race suit.
1 bar and 1 gel per hour. 1 piece of bar every on 15, 30 & 45 mins then a gel on the hour.

Just water to drink. 500-700ml per hour depending on the heat.

This seems to work perfectly for me. No way could I have just gels on the bike then gels on the run.
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT
UK Ultimate 1/2
100TT
IMUK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: