Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman UK Bolton 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
wiganer wrote:
PCP wrote:
wiganer wrote:
The route goes past my front door, so I just sat out with my camera snapping a few of the athletes coming by, then this abomination rode past.

It was a very warm day once the sun got out, but started with rain and a chill - the mistake loads of people made as far as I could see, was not stripping off their rain gear ... so many riding past with too many layers on, red faces and they would pay for that later I would guess.

Anyway, after the road was re-opened I chose to watch the Tour rather than go into Bolton, but well done all of you guys who finished and hard luck to those that didn't make it.

For anyone interested, I have posted up a short gallery of different type shots here - you may be included, you may be not - http://www.martinholdenimages.co.uk/ironman-uk

There is a great side-one 'critique my position' picture of me on there. 11th row down, right hand column.

in the TriCentral kit and Giant bike ?

That's it.

After he'd done The Bastion last week too!!!
MTriton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent race for me.

Up at 3.10 for breakfast which was started by 3.30. Left the hotel at 4.20 and then arrived with more than an hour before the start. Plenty of time.

I did not really get into a decent grove on the swim. From my efforts in the pool I should be able to swim sub-hour without too much difficulty. However, I just did not settle onto any useful feet and on the return leg of loop one kept on taking a bad line. The second lap was a little better as I actually worked a bit harder to stay with someone who was going in a good direction. However, the plus side was it was zero stress and zero argy bargy. Came out with 62.51. 3 or 4 minutes too slow but not having had to push hard at all.

T1 - 4.14

The bike started off in grey drizzly conditions which were a little unpleasant but at least the cloud cover kept it warm over night. I passed a small handful in the first 10m but I got passed by rather more. It is always unnerving. Are they really so much better or are they going to hard? Difficult to tell at the time but the analysis shows a mixture.

My position on the bike seems to do the job as I was re-passing many on the flat and faster sections, often whilst doing a fairly low wattage. On Sheephouse Lane (and Hunter's Hill) my 80-81kgs were not helping me and I seemed to lose a lot of spots. Loved the downhill after the climb out of Belmont and then the faster roads with the small rises. That is good fun riding.

By the second time up Babylon Lane I was fading and I really struggled up Sheephouse Lane the second time. Got passed again by two or three. It was not until after the aid station at Leyland where I ate some more that I got a second wind on the bike. I simply had not been taking on enough food. After I rallied I then spent the last quarter of the race consistently passing (and in many cases re-passing) others. It was satisfying in the last 5-10m miles to pass some people I recognised coming by me in the first 10m! I was feeling really strong for the last section and wished I had eaten more earlier so that I could have avoided the difficult patch in the middle of the bike section. Nevertheless, pleased enough with a 5:35:46.

That was from 208w average (222w NP). 8 SIS gels mixed with water in a bottle. 2 GU gels (with caffeine). 2 1/2 bars. 1 banana. 3 or 4 bottles of energy drink.

T2 - 3.52

Out on to the run which is normally my strength. I was a bit concerned as I had been light on my running for several months due to achilles issues and was deeply unsure about how I would hold it together in the second half. Up the hill out of T2 was unpleasant. My right foot went dead (something that often happens at the beginning of the run to me). Within the first 3km I had passed about 3 people and now it looked quiet ahead of me. Before the course dropped down to the stream I noted my average pace was about 4.26min/km. I thought 4.30 would be a great target (3.10 marathon pace) and kept an eye on that number.

Dropping down to the river brought the average down to 4.23min/km but by the time I had climbed up the pig a hill to come up to the looped section I was back at 4.30min/km average. Now it was time for the mental games. 8m is nearly a third. 9m is more than a third. Now into the teens. Pick up the first band. 13m is more or less half way. and so on..... Anything to help with the dissociation which is how I run (my body keep telling me it hurts and it would like to slow down and I keep ignoring it). Each time the course went back into town I would improve my average pace and each time back out it would slow. By the time I was at about 16m or so I think I was unable to shift it back to an average of sub-4.30min/km. From here it was just about trying to hold it together.

At every aid station I drank water, electrolyte, coke or red bull and then threw a water over my head. At 6m, 11m, 16m and 21m I had a caffeine SIS gel which I had carried in my pockets.

I had just picked up my second band (so one and a half loops to go) when I saw TC emerge onto the looped section of the run and he appeared to be walking. Gave him a little bit of advice about not walking on the marathon which he took in good grace Laughing and then pushed on.

Amazingly I did not slow too much. Sure everything hurt but there was no cataclysmic collapse of pace or form. The miles just got ticked off and I think I was feeding a lot off the enormous numbers now being passed (a lot of people by this stage being on the looped section of the run). And on the final lap I was on the hunt for red-banders - they being my immediate competitors. During the entire run I got passed by about 5 runners (including the race winner) but passed hundreds. That certainly helped me to not walk a step. Given the lumpy coruse I was very pleased with a solid 3:14:11.

Overall I came in at 10:00:54 which got me 33rd OA and 5th in the 35-39AG. A good day at the office.
2014 - AT50 (6.46; 1st), Forestman (10.05; 2nd), Anglian (10.44; 2nd), Owler (11.31; 7th), Slovenia Double IM - WC (20.47, 1st)
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey 10:00:54 is great work on that course, especially impressed with the bike - that's a good return of speed off that wattage for your weight on that course.

You must have good position and bike efficiently (put the watts out where they are useful, not wasted) and very round wheels Wink.

Oi knee, do one....
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking work MTriton, well done!
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one MTriton. Smile
dss123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that does seem like a great bike split off the power Mtriton

I think the swim was a tad long as I "felt" like I swam sub 60 but came out in 1:03 summut

I biked to power 250 watts (NP) at 75kg which I thought would translate to 5:20, but ended up with 5:43, so no idea what happened there?

Took a while to find my run legs but then ran steady / consistently for a 3:26

10:23 7th AG. Wanted closer to 10:00. Probably underestimated the toughness off the course if I'm honest.

But did get lucky at roll down and squeeked a KQ so happy days.
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I know swam around 2-3 mins slower than expected so probably about 150m long. Most biked slower than expected too for the correct power so maybe the wind across Belmont then the road back across the top towards Chorley slowed things up. Plus the road up from T1 is net elevation gain that you never get back.

Great results either way dss & MTriton.
Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
100TT - 4:47
IMUK -
funkster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTriton wrote:

By the second time up Babylon Lane I was fading and I really struggled up Sheephouse Lane the second time. Got passed again by two or three. It was not until after the aid station at Leyland where I ate some more that I got a second wind on the bike. I simply had not been taking on enough food. After I rallied I then spent the last quarter of the race consistently passing (and in many cases re-passing) others. It was satisfying in the last 5-10m miles to pass some people I recognised coming by me in the first 10m! I was feeling really strong for the last section and wished I had eaten more earlier so that I could have avoided the difficult patch in the middle of the bike section. Nevertheless, pleased enough with a 5:35:46.

Fairly sure you and I were together on the second part of the second lap.
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work MTriton & congrats on the Kona slot dss123.

Odd about differences in powers/times on the bike leg.
MTriton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkster wrote:
MTriton wrote:

Fairly sure you and I were together on the second part of the second lap.

Cool. Were you the chap that came past me on Hunter's Hill about 1/2 way up or so who I then went back past at the very top (and possibly another couple of swaps in the next 1km)?

How was the bike for you? Even paced all the way round? Or like me, were you stronger (at least relatively) towards the end?
2014 - AT50 (6.46; 1st), Forestman (10.05; 2nd), Anglian (10.44; 2nd), Owler (11.31; 7th), Slovenia Double IM - WC (20.47, 1st)
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTriton wrote:
I had just picked up my second band (so one and a half loops to go) when I saw TC emerge onto the looped section of the run and he appeared to be walking. Gave him a little bit of advice about not walking on the marathon which he took in good grace Laughing and then pushed on....
Given the lumpy coorse I was very pleased with a solid 3:14:11.
Overall I came in at 10:00:54 which got me 33rd OA and 5th in the 35-39AG. A good day at the office.

2013 - NDW50 (7.45; 3rd), AT Double IM (25.29; 1st), ChBarca (9.31), W100 (16.39; 2nd)

OK I'll let YOU (and only you Exclamation) off from not walking any of the steep hills of that run, given only you can get away with breaking all the power-walk rules at EnduroMan Avon Tyrrell (AT). Despite missing your target Razz by 54 seconds, wow, fair play m8. really chuffed for you Thumbs Up Did you not take your KQ slot tho?

congrats on squeaking KQ to Dunc too Cool

great support out on the course Smile

gutting to hear of all those who did not have such a good day.

I held up and did bout best I can do tbh for 11h34 finish, cant complain really, and I limped thru the sw1m no bother only 5 mins behind my normal swimble time, so who needs a left shoulder anyway. Great to see wiganer Cool taking pics on the bike.
http://www.martinholdenimages.co.uk/ironmanuk-head-shots
Nice to finish strong with a 3h36 run.
Despite the damp at the start, I'll say that yet again, we had good weather as usual at Bolton! Shocked Pleased to hear the race is staying in sunny Bolton Sun Sun for many years to come Thumbs Up
That's at least the 3rd time it's been raining on the sw1m and wet roads for the start of the bike tho. Nice and mild and no rain at dark o'clock pre-race so happy dayz for the athletes.
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of wiganers shots, this uns a bit different Cool

http://www.martinholdenimages.co.uk/fullscreen-page/comp-j56tkicg1/db4026da-94a4-478a-b156-292b28019335/42/%3Fi%3D42%26p%3Dizoh7%26s%3Dstyle-j56tye0e

[/img]
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horwich tri - 2:11:12 (57/393)
Monster Mojo Middle - 4:44:50 (29th)
50TT - mechanical
UK Ultimate 1/2 - DNF
100TT - 4:47
IMUK -
funkster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTriton wrote:

Cool. Were you the chap that came past me on Hunter's Hill about 1/2 way up or so who I then went back past at the very top (and possibly another couple of swaps in the next 1km)?

How was the bike for you? Even paced all the way round? Or like me, were you stronger (at least relatively) towards the end?

I pointed out the guy who was just sitting on your wheel Wink

Hunter's second time round was really tough.
Was the only time I thought about getting out of the saddle.

Only just had the motivation to look at my files

First loop was 254w NP / .74 IF / 1.12VI
Second loop was 239w NP / .69 IF / 1.12VI and 6 minutes slower

So about 10w too high on the first lap and was finding it harder to stay motivated on the second lap

Overall the bike was 247w NP / .72 IF / 1.12VI and a TSS of 286, so not really overcooked, so even more disappointing given the explosion on the run
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a massive fan of that Rainbow paint job; different though.

Excellent result again for MTriton; well done Matt, you still have it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: