Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 375, 376, 377

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't and to be honest I haven't looked at the course profile. I just need something to get me back into some proper run training. I know 10 weeks is a little close but I'm hoping that the large amount of bike volume I have done over the last 9 months should have given me a bit of a base to work from. I plan to do my first long run tomorrow as I'm going to do 15-16 miles and take in Bushy Park run too. Nice and slow and see how the legs go.
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking this thread was a little quiet so thought I should bring it up again Smile

After looking for a decent half to do in the Autumn for a while, I thought I would run Nottngham and see a mate at the same time. However, when registering I ended up in the full marathon. This was September 3rd.

So pressure was on to continue my sequence of sub 3's with very litel "training".

Now Nottingham advertises itself as fast. It s not. First half (same as the half mara) is very hilly for a "fast course". Second half is nicer, but does have a bit of trail which would be a nightmare in the wet in racing shoes. It is worth saying though, for those that like to look around when running, Nottingham does its best to show off all its good bits. As this is a tri forum it is also warth saying it touches (but thankfully does not send you round) pierrepoint of Outlaw fame.

Anyway, decided I would set out at 2:50 pace and see what happened. It quickly transpired that that was to quick and spent the rest of the first half being overtaken by half marathon runners who set off at the same time. I culled my conpetitive side and let them go and at the split around 13 miles it transpired there was very few marathon runners around me. Each bit of wind I had felt I had seeked and drafted off a half mara runner. No chance of that in the second half.

After realising that 2:50 was to fast, my aim was to run each split in under 3 hour pace, and see how deep in the race I could get for for the inevitable slow down.

35k, was when it happened, but was still able to hold around 7 min/mile so not to bad. But now I was overtaking the odd runner as well who all had obviously paced it worse than me.

A +50 lady came past me around 5k to go which was very impressive. Thought about trying to staying with her, but decided I was going to be under 3 at current pace and did not want to risk completely blowing.

Came home in 2:56 which was slightly slower than I hoped, but a lot better than I had thought through the first 30k of the race!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty impressive recovery YKK

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going YKK. Again Very Happy !! Are you still doing your mileage on just steady commutes?
Ive stuck to my guns, dodged any temptation of an autumn marathon and raced only shorter stuff over the summer....
Goal back in may was to try to hit some new pbs this year and i've managed to get a new one at 5k, 17.39 and 10k, 37.11 over the last few weeks. Pretty pleased with that and i must surely now be in quick enough shape to do a spring marathon justice !!
Currently waiting to see if i get a VLM spot after screwing up GFA qualification but should the inevitable rejection mag come through i have a spot in Brighton.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 375, 376, 377
Page 377 of 377

Jump to: