Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Condition of roads around the world
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Condition of roads around the world Reply with quote

I was thinking the other day, like most UK cyclists, about the state of our A and B roads. I think our Motorways are actually very good in general, and major A roads looked after by the Highways Agency; but we tend not to cycle on those! I've cycled in the following countries, and I have to say they are ALL better than the UK, in order of quality:

Germany
Austria
Spain inc islands
Netherlands
Portugal
Italy
Falkland Is (where they are tarmaced)
France

There are plenty of other countries I've been to and driven in, but wouldn't cycle as I don't have a death wish (India for example!) and most of those have better roads too.

Your thoughts & experiences?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwanda have some of the best roads in the world...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and some of the worst Smile

SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never cycled there but driven plenty and the state of most US roads it completely appalling.

Makes the UK roads actually seem good quality.

The best roads seem to be small islands that have lots of EU grants. Such as the Canary Islands and Greek Islands. Some fantastic tarmac out there.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
I have never cycled there but driven plenty and the state of most US roads it completely appalling.

The best roads seem to be small islands that have lots of EU grants. Such as the Canary Islands and Greek Islands. Some fantastic tarmac out there.

I was going to have said the same thing about the US. Utterly appalling. Even in a car, their freeways make for an uncomfortable ride.

Canary Islands I would agree with, but the only Greek island I have been to is Zakynthos, and I don't recall them being too great, although it was a fair while ago
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are plenty of other countries I've been to and driven in, but wouldn't cycle as I don't have a death wish (India for example!) and most of those have better roads too.

I've cycled in India (Tamil Nadu and Kerala) and it's surprisingly better to cycle there than you'd think. traffic seems to take more care around you (bar 1 or 2 issues but no worse than the UK) and in towns, where chaos seems to loom at junctions, because everyone is a) ignoring any signs, b) as a result going slowly, and c) everyone keeps their eyes open to avoid others, it actually works OK. road surfaces however can be a bit "interesting" at times.

Thailand roads are fine - fewer potholes than the UK and no grids/manholes to worry about as rain tends to flow off the sides into gullys. overall, better than the UK.

Italy - just come back from there in October and have to say I think the road surfaces overall are worse than the UK - not so much potholes, but general broken surfaces. sh1ite in a word.

Colombia - very interesting! The roads could go from being beautifully smooth to potholes and no tarmac at all in an instant - you'd just drop off the tarmac onto an umetalled road! Apparently road maintenance is down to the local community and if they don't have the money they simply don't do any upkeep on the roads. Bizarre and bonkers.

Only cycled in the US once at IM Florida and the road surfaces weren't the best - one section had bike bits (bottles, bags etc) scattered all over due to the rough surface.

France - generally good and much better than the UK and drivers in the main do the right thing with cyclists and give you space.
Richard Allbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Condition of roads around the world Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Your thoughts & experiences?

I think the motorways in the UK are terrible.

I'm living in Italy at them moment, and even here it's better than the UK.

The issue in the UK is the large chip that's used. It makes the roads rough - fuel mileage suffers, and cycling is terrible.

Agree with your list, though.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:

France - generally good and much better than the UK and drivers in the main do the right thing with cyclists and give you space.

Yep, France for me pretty much every time....

i enjoyed cycling in NZ but the surfaces were criminal at times...

Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now up to about 3000 miles total of semi-reasonable paved road in Mongolia, a country twice the size of France. Some of it is even rideable between May and September, but don't try it in the city.

China has some fantastic mountain roads. City streets are a nightmare, especially when the manhole covers have been removed.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus one for France
Dubai and Abu Dhabi roads are super smooth - but drivers are not so good.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

I cycled around Phoenix, Arizona, and the roads were excellent, smooth, well maintained, with a wide shoulder. However, I agree that US roads can be awful, especially the freeways

I live in Switzerland, and the roads here are stunning, even drains and manhole covers are properly fared in. Lots of cycle tracks too and they are well maintained

I love cycling in Spain, roads are not as good as switzerland, sometimes they are a little narrow, however, brilliant cycling vibe

France is a pleasure to cycle through
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Canary Islands I would agree with, but the only Greek island I have been to is Zakynthos, and I don't recall them being too great, although it was a fair while ago

In all honesty I've only really experienced Rhodes and it had perfect ribbons of black tarmac all over it. I just assumed all the rest would be the same, as it was clearly EU money.

mattsurf wrote:

I cycled around Phoenix, Arizona, and the roads were excellent, smooth, well maintained, with a wide shoulder. However, I agree that US roads can be awful, especially the freeways

Yeah the US is a damn big lump of land and its going to have very different quality of roads state by state, but when they are bad they are really awful.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

Yeah the US is a damn big lump of land and its going to have very different quality of roads state by state, but when they are bad they are really awful.

I think this is where their gravel roads win-out; reduced or no traffic, but a uniform surface. Ideal for fatter tyred endurance/cx bikes we all have these days Smile Alas, not a lot of gravel roads in most parts on the UK, apart from Forestry land and the Highlands.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving across the US you can often note the changes in road quality literally as you cross from one state to the next.

Although the surface can be a bit iffy I like the fact their roads are usually wide and you don't feel cramped for room.

But anywhere built up and the amount of traffic lights do your nut in (though tbf you don't have to risk your life on roundabouts).
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
But anywhere built up and the amount of traffic lights do your nut in (though tbf you don't have to risk your life on roundabouts).

Yeah in a car it's annoying, I imagine on a Bike it would be utterly Rage inducing. The time it takes for a light change can be ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: