Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Modern/Future Classic cars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
SGreg wrote:

My current car is a GT86 which I utterly love, but as they are still making them so the price is only going one way for now.

I agree the GT86 has all the hallmarks of a future classic

BRZ is the same car but much rarer. Apart from the one in the car park at work....common as muck Very Happy Wink
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a shame the Clio V6 is only a 2 seater as they’ve been going up in value for the last few years
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To add to my list, how about a Mazda RX8, earlier RX7's are appreciating fast, the RX8 is the best and most good looking of the lot

had one - sh1te. got succumbed into buying one to replace a 1st gen Audi TT Roadster which itself had replaced a Z3 (also sh1te). it drove OK but that whiny engine, needing to top it with oil, and the "death" doors did it for us in the end.

how about a VW Corrado?? - best in the VR6 Storm mode which they only made about 200 of. had one for a couple of years that replaced a G60. still miss it in many ways and wish VW would produce a newgen version.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of the latest 5.0L Mustangs this week, they have a great exhaust 'burble' Cool

Still waiting for the GTV Cup sellers to weaken their resolve on price; unlikely perhaps with the traders, but the private ones usually drop a bit when no-one bites. I also have the email of the best private-owned one out there too, in case he pulls it from the sale sites.

If you can't shift a sports car in this current weather, then you probably need to reassess things.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Mustangs are cheap for what they are too. Not sure they would count as an appreciating classic though. LHD imports are cheap.

Porsche 928S4 might be good. Nice looking and just about meet your practicality needs plus performance is good. Limited electronics. Spares readily available at a fair price. Heavily advertised in their time which means they have left a mind imprint in a certain age group leading to desirability. Not that common now, but not overpriced.

Jensen Interceptor - unrestored ones can be found cheap and made drivable by fairly cheap brake, steering and suspension upgrades. Restored ones are worth a lot.

Lotus Esprit S4 - just because. Looks, performance, no rust, simple engine, work underwater Smile
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the urge to buy a Rosso GTV V6 around 2010 and spent a while waiting for the right one, and pulled the trigger eventually. At that time there was already a lot of belief on the Alfa forums that these were future classics and the prices were only going one way.

Loved driving it, and they're very nice to look at so never bought it as an investment, ended up selling it for slightly less than I bought it for but think largely prices remained static over the 7 years I had it.

Quite expensive to run/service if you don't maintain them yourself, luckily I was free and single while I owned it so could stomach the occasional eye watering bill but certainly there were many on the forum who when faced with a 2-3K bill decided it was easier to break.

I think while they remain 'cheap' there's going to be enough people that buy them but maybe can't afford the ongoing maintenance that they will become increasingly rare, and good examples are going to eventually be worth something.

I was a bit gutted to sell, as I had a hunch if I left it in a garage and did say 1K miles a year it'd pay off eventually, but needed the cash to fund a house purchase and don't have a spare garage lying around to house it in Smile

Anyways - Cups were always, always listed at a premium, if you're just interested in the car then it never seemed worth the price since materially the body kit is the only difference. I guess if you're patient you should be able to get the right one at the right price.

I suspect the pay off might not be quite as soon as maybe with some other marques but in the long run I can't see how these aren't going to be worth a lot more one day, given the attrition rate caused by the current price versus running costs.

I get the impression you know what you're doing so will be able to nose out ones that have been well looked after and are in good shape - that's going to be the key.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: