Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Great Garmin Support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

Had great Garmin support. My Vivoactive HR is 18 months old (so 6 months out of Warranty). It died after a swim (typically during my A race), one call to Gamin and they are replacing it with a refurbished one free of charge.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Had great Garmin support. My Vivoactive HR is 18 months old (so 6 months out of Warranty). It died after a swim (typically during my A race), one call to Gamin and they are replacing it with a refurbished one free of charge.

Totally the opposite for me recently. An 18m old HRM-swim. I've only used it a about 50 times. I religiously washed it after every use. The strap has corroded so badly it's basically not usable. They said they'd replace "for a out of warranty fee", but refused to say how much that was!

Last edited by stenard on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Totally the opposite for me recently. An 18m old HRM-swim. I've only used it a about 50 times. I religiously washed it after every use. The strap has corroded so badly it's basically not usable. They said they'd replace "for a out of warranty fee", but refused to say how much that was!

I'd go back to them and push them a bit harder. You have a right to expect goods to last a reasonable length of time.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
stenard wrote:
Jgav wrote:

I'd go back to them and push them a bit harder. You have a right to expect goods to last a reasonable length of time.

Right to expect but probably not right to claim.

Garmin support seems completely random depending on who you get and what mood they are in on the day.

Personally I've got mixed experiences. A faulty Fenix 3 got replaced semi-quickly (3 weeks) but when they bombed out the 920x with a really poor software upgrade they completely denied responsibility for 6 months. Like, actively denied on their support forums. Caused rather an uproar back then, and still not sure why they denied it since it must have cost a fair bit of marketing to bring goodwill back.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Jgav wrote:
stenard wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Right to expect but probably not right to claim.

Garmin support seems completely random depending on who you get and what mood they are in on the day.

Personally I've got mixed experiences. A faulty Fenix 3 got replaced semi-quickly (3 weeks) but when they bombed out the 920x with a really poor software upgrade they completely denied responsibility for 6 months. Like, actively denied on their support forums. Caused rather an uproar back then, and still not sure why they denied it since it must have cost a fair bit of marketing to bring goodwill back.

Questionable. Consumer Rights Act states a product must be fit for purpose, and you have a 6 year window. A HR strap designed to be used in a pool, where the care instructions are followed meticulously, and I probably only used it on 1/4 of pool swims, failing due to what can only be chlorine corrosion, is not fit for purpose in my book.

I made this point to Garmin, but as I didnt buy direct through them, they stood by the legal framework saying if I wanted to argue such a thing, I needed to go direct to the retailer I bought it from.

I may well try that route, but not sure I can be bothered.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jgav wrote:

They've finally come back today after nearly 2 further weeks. They will charge 46.58, plus it's not clear if I'll have to incur the cost of shipping the old one back. A brand new one can be bought for that kind of money!

Their standard offer of c75 for an out of warranty replacement on a watch is pretty good value for money, given what they cost new, but nearly 50 for a HR strap is actually outrageous!
MarkyMark76

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

They've finally come back today after nearly 2 further weeks. They will charge 46.58, plus it's not clear if I'll have to incur the cost of shipping the old one back. A brand new one can be bought for that kind of money!

Their standard offer of c75 for an out of warranty replacement on a watch is pretty good value for money, given what they cost new, but nearly 50 for a HR strap is actually outrageous!

That is harsh and if I remember correctly from when I did this with a 910XT there is limited to no warranty on the replacement? Or it just inherits what was left of the original devices warranty term.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
....... and you have a 6 year window.

For support maybe but not 1:1 replacement and certainly not for free. They can replace with a pre-owned one of a different model, fully working and charge you if its out of warranty.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Garmin Support Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
stenard wrote:
....... and you have a 6 year window.

For support maybe but not 1:1 replacement and certainly not for free. They can replace with a pre-owned one of a different model, fully working and charge you if its out of warranty.

I'm not fully up to speed with the rules, but I was told different.

This Which article covers some of the elements, and I believe this would fall under being "not fit for purposes". I can't quite see how you can sell a HRM for use in a pool that corrodes when used in a pool, even when thoroughly washed in clean water after every use, as instructed.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

There is a template letter builder on the Which site (https://www.which.co.uk/tools/faulty-goods-complaint-tool/) and that has the 6 year time limit cap implied within it.

I think a reasonable fee wouldn't be out of order, but charging effectively the full price of the item can't be considered reasonable if the reason is something not being fit for purpose.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 6 year were true then just about every mobile phone supplier would go bankrupt as no phone will last 6 years without being replaced by a different model. If you read the Consumer Act the sic year period isnt what you think it is - "This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product"

Looking at your link it says "Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund" - but only within 30 days so you cannot use it for 18 months successfully and then claim its not fit for purpose. Its like drinking a bottle of wine and then claiming its corked once its finished.

The problem will be that its entirely fit for purpose given they sell hundreds of thousands at a guess, and only a small number get returned. You could try claiming your individual one was faulty - but only in its warranty period.

The issue is that while you can claim even when thoroughly washed in clean water after every use, as instructed, it has a problem, they can easily ask you to prove it, which nobody can in effect.

You get a cheaper price if parts can be re-used or repaired but a solid state device with no serviceable parts isnt likely to be cheaper - in effect you are buying a consumable product, you cannot prove you looked after it so once its out of warranty, the replacement cost isnt entirely unreasonable. Thats said, I still use my HRM I got with a Garmin 305 watch in about 2004.

It works perfectly and other than a quick wipe every so often to remove sweaty gunk, I've never had a problem.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
If the 6 year were true then just about every mobile phone supplier would go bankrupt as no phone will last 6 years without being replaced by a different model. If you read the Consumer Act the sic year period isnt what you think it is - "This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product"

Looking at your link it says "Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund" - but only within 30 days so you cannot use it for 18 months successfully and then claim its not fit for purpose. Its like drinking a bottle of wine and then claiming its corked once its finished.

The problem will be that its entirely fit for purpose given they sell hundreds of thousands at a guess, and only a small number get returned. You could try claiming your individual one was faulty - but only in its warranty period.

The issue is that while you can claim even when thoroughly washed in clean water after every use, as instructed, it has a problem, they can easily ask you to prove it, which nobody can in effect.

You get a cheaper price if parts can be re-used or repaired but a solid state device with no serviceable parts isnt likely to be cheaper - in effect you are buying a consumable product, you cannot prove you looked after it so once its out of warranty, the replacement cost isnt entirely unreasonable. Thats said, I still use my HRM I got with a Garmin 305 watch in about 2004.

It works perfectly and other than a quick wipe every so often to remove sweaty gunk, I've never had a problem.

Agree with a lot of what you say. However, Garmin themselves have broadly accepted with me that the corrosion I have suffered shouldnt have occurred based on the use. They have even gone as far to say that whilst they accept that, as manufacturer, they aren't compelled to do anything as the Consumer Rights Act is a contract between me and retailer.

The penultimate comment image on DCR's review of these straps is exactly how mine looks, in precisely the same place. So it does seem like a design flaw.

I've sent an email to the retailer now, to see what they say. They can only say bugger off. In that case, no way I'm spending 50 with Garmin. I'll just try reverse engineering some sort of reinforcement for the area of the strap that has corroded. The main issue I have is this "wear" has occurred even though I hardly use the strap. So in reality, it's not something I would actively pay for again.

Love the HRM-Tri however. As full race HR is actually quite helpful to see how I paced a swim, and how RPE through transitions and getting on the bike aligns with what my HR was actually doing. And I've had no issues with that strap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: