Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile TT Thread - 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
i can't quite get my head around this, such strong riding guys! I've just dusted my bike off (forced as my car has broke) and am commuting for the next 2 weeks. I'm struggling to hit 25kph for an hour!!!

Devon is worth about 3km on your average speed compared to other parts of the UK, and that's on a road bike, TT is even bigger difference. Of course if you're only out for an hour, you probably could hit just the faster roads and not be hurt so much, but in the lanes you're stuffed due to the hedges and not being able to see to go fast.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
i can't quite get my head around this, such strong riding guys! I've just dusted my bike off (forced as my car has broke) and am commuting for the next 2 weeks. I'm struggling to hit 25kph for an hour!!!

Devon is worth about 3km on your average speed compared to other parts of the UK, and that's on a road bike, TT is even bigger difference. Of course if you're only out for an hour, you probably could hit just the faster roads and not be hurt so much, but in the lanes you're stuffed due to the hedges and not being able to see to go fast.

Some is similar. I actually don't like riding the lanes in summer as the hedgerow puts you in the middle of the road.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

Aerodynamics and kit make a huge difference, wheels, tyres, skinsuit & helmet etc., but you still need to be able to keep that position for 4+ hours, I would like to be a bit more flexible, the profile of some people was excellent.

Jeff
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus you've been eating too many cakes recently, I bet hills are harder than they used to be Wink
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just catching up after a week's holiday.

Nice ride in the National 100 Jeff, tough day wasn;t it. I started off no 119, Keiron Davies at 120 blew past after about 7 minutes Rolling Eyes and I found the day got hotter, windier and slower with each passing lap.

Was thinking 3:55 early on, and although kept the power up pretty well things had slowed until I notched a 4:02.

Some unspeakably superb rides, great event.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 100 scheduled for this weekend (G100/61). How do you guys normally pace it effort / power wise?

My current FTP is tested at 254W. Target for IM four weeks after the 100 is in the 180-190W range. Given the main goal of this ride is an IM simulation, I'm planning on riding around that power, even if I could put out more standalone. Mainly I don't want to derail my last few weeks of training by going too deep.

That said, I'm interested to know how much harder you would aim to push for a max effort 100?

Also, what sort of volume of nutrition and fluids do you find you normally get through? On my multiple recent 100 mile training rides, I've been getting through about 1.5-2 litres, but I have been running out quite a bit before the end. That's just a case of not wanting / being able to carry much more. On this route, there are multiple laps where I could stash a spare bottle if I needed it in a layby or something like that.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Also, what sort of volume of nutrition and fluids do you find you normally get through? On my multiple recent 100 mile training rides, I've been getting through about 1.5-2 litres, but I have been running out quite a bit before the end. That's just a case of not wanting / being able to carry much more. On this route, there are multiple laps where I could stash a spare bottle if I needed it in a layby or something like that.

Tip from Alice Lethbridge, she uses a bladder down the front of the skinsuit with the valve popping out of the neck and attached to her helmet. I think they banned them on your back because of aero impact, but no issue down the front.

Haven't tried it but it sounds both practical, aero and gives you a nice cooling effect too I suppose.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
stenard wrote:

Tip from Alice Lethbridge, she uses a bladder down the front of the skinsuit with the valve popping out of the neck and attached to her helmet. I think they banned them on your back because of aero impact, but no issue down the front.

They're not banned anywhere, the problem with the bladder is not knowing how much you've actually drunk, front can be uncomfortable depending on your position.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Plus you've been eating too many cakes recently, I bet hills are harder than they used to be Wink

Sam - too true my friend, too true. My back aches as well now fro'all this riding'! haha

and i can't really claim any excuses for being in Devon. The commute is mainy up the estuary cycle path! so traffic free and flat. though it does have about a million gates, road crossings etc which obviously hammer the avg speed.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
PhilleusPhogg wrote:
stenard wrote:

They're not banned anywhere, the problem with the bladder is not knowing how much you've actually drunk, front can be uncomfortable depending on your position.

Interesting. That sounds like a possible option for extra fluids.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
My first 100 scheduled for this weekend (G100/61). How do you guys normally pace it effort / power wise?

My current FTP is tested at 254W. Target for IM four weeks after the 100 is in the 180-190W range. Given the main goal of this ride is an IM simulation, I'm planning on riding around that power, even if I could put out more standalone. Mainly I don't want to derail my last few weeks of training by going too deep.

That said, I'm interested to know how much harder you would aim to push for a max effort 100?

Good luck with this, I'm not exactly at the pointy end of TT's and tend to use them more as training efforts, unless I'm in with a shout of a PB.

My FTP is around 285W I'd say at the moment, for the 100 a few weeks ago, I aimed to go around 220W and see what happened, I'd underfuelled on a 50 2 weeks before and learnt a valuable & painful lesson (or reminded myself!). I knew if I was feeling good at ~75 miles I could push a bit harder in the last quarter, but I also don't have an IM coming up.

As it turned out I got the watts dead on, AP was 221W, although as it got warmer I had to work harder for the same power.

On my IM's in the past I seem to ave around 210W, but a lot have been undulating courses where you get regular breaks.

I'd be inclined to set off at your IM power and see how it goes, but remember that anyone going past you may not be training for an IM so don't be tempted to chase. Then if you are feeling good you can pick it up later on.

For nutrition I use the bladder down the front as well for a long race like this, but also have something different on the bike, maybe even flat coke. but as mentioned it is sometimes hard to know how much you've drunk from the bladder without squeezing it.

If it's a lap course or you have a helper you could swap your on bike bottle half way. I also had some solid foods but tried to be careful not to go over the 80g carbs per hour, and eat\drink regularly.

If it's warm you might want to try and have more fluids, also depends on your start time as well, e.g. will you avoid a lot of the mid-day heat.

I will qualify this though by saying I'm a bit of a wimp on 100's, I can't seem to push myself anywhere near as much as others or I can do for 50's etc. I'm sure it's a bit of a mental thing, and should be able to hold 240-250W if I trained specifically for one.

Jeff
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

stenard wrote:
I'd say that was quite a challenging IM target watts in any case, so I certainly wouldn't go higher.

Probably not much more than low 80% of FTP.

stenard wrote:
On this route, there are multiple laps where I could stash a spare bottle if I needed it in a layby or something like that.

Stash 'em, I DNF'd a 100 due to consuming all my water by 60odd miles, it was a very hot day, back when hot days were rare!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camelbak down the front, plus an aero bottle on the bike. On a hot day an extra bottle stashed.

However many 100's will have a manned aid station - if you bring a couple of bottles labelled with your race number and hand them in at sign on they'll have them waiting so check - that works really well if you don't have a helper and is better than stashing.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Camelbak down the front, plus an aero bottle on the bike. On a hot day an extra bottle stashed.

However many 100's will have a manned aid station - if you bring a couple of bottles labelled with your race number and hand them in at sign on they'll have them waiting so check - that works really well if you don't have a helper and is better than stashing.

Cool. Do you get them back?
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Cool. Do you get them back?

Probably down to the organisers, but they took them back to HQ after the race the other week so you could get them if you wanted.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: