Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TriTalk.co.uk is on facebook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
I'll follow up with hammerer today to get the ball rolling.

Yes, I personally think locking down the current forum and keeping it at archive.tritalk.co.uk (or whatever) and having a new forum (I am a big fan of Discord too) at tritalk.co.uk is likely the best and only feasible plan. It's currently on an oversized droplet (8GB / 160GB Disk in LON1) but once the forum is locked down I could resize it to a lower cost or in an ideal world archive the static pages to S3 but the DO solution is quickest and simplest for now.

Jorgan regarding your specific point, I won't be the owner anymore as will hand everything over so that's not an issue.

Thanks for everything Gareth!! Is that 160GB capacity on the DO server or actual storage used? I'm looking at options to make Hammerer's ideas come true Very Happy

Sub17.net - TimmyG's Blog and Epic 2010 and 2011 Outlaw Race Reports
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's an 80GB disk not 160GB. Nope, that was just the default size for that droplet at the time. I just created a snapshot and it's 39.19 GB but obviously, some of that is going to be system files. I'll get the values for filesystem and database shortly.

I'll test this first but I've created a new team on Digital Ocean so it isn't tied to my personal account and I'll be able to transfer a snapshot to it and then rebuild the server there where I can give others access (and you can then remove me when all is said and done). Downsizing instances is a pain on DO (as you can't do it) which is why a better long term solution is to create a static archived version hosted on S3 but first things first... Or you can just rsync the data somewhere else once have access etc...

The domains are hosted at Route 53 on AWS (both tritalk.co.uk and .com) and these would just need to be transferred away. Let's do that when the DO setup is sorted as I'll need to tweak the DNS due to IP changes.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
Sorry, it's an 80GB disk not 160GB. Nope, that was just the default size for that droplet at the time. I just created a snapshot and it's 39.19 GB but obviously, some of that is going to be system files. I'll get the values for filesystem and database shortly.

I'll test this first but I've created a new team on Digital Ocean so it isn't tied to my personal account and I'll be able to transfer a snapshot to it and then rebuild the server there where I can give others access (and you can then remove me when all is said and done). Downsizing instances is a pain on DO (as you can't do it) which is why a better long term solution is to create a static archived version hosted on S3 but first things first... Or you can just rsync the data somewhere else once have access etc...

The domains are hosted at Route 53 on AWS (both tritalk.co.uk and .com) and these would just need to be transferred away. Let's do that when the DO setup is sorted as I'll need to tweak the DNS due to IP changes.

Thanks TT. Timmy is going to help with the infrastructure side. He is an aws expert and suggested hosting the domains at route53 anyway but with the site held on one of their set ups (he lost me when talking about what set up) . I think he had option for a free first year and temporary set up whilst we got going also but that's before we found out the DB size. I'll let him ask more questions and speak about those options.
Once we get that part organised we can upload the discourse software from github to where ever we decide and we should be ready to configure that which looks easy enough. I've suggested using a subdomain for that and then a simple WordPress front end with the discourse plugin. Again I need to play with that on my home setup but if the forum is on a subdomain (forum.tritalk.co.uk) we can add an automatic forward to it I assume from tritalk.co.uk / .com until we get something developed.
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's perfect then. I can actually resize the droplet memory and CPU on Digital Ocean (as it is currently overkill) down to a $20 monthly plan (that's USD) which will work for the immediate future (and I'll pre-fund the first 6 months for it).

So I suggest tonight, I temporarily lock the forums, create a DO snapshot, move the snapshot to a new TriTalk team account, ensure everything is working (as DNS will be updated too), unlock the forums so it works as it is now and then hand-off the team ownership to you.

Once that part is done we'll transfer the domains and you are on your own Very Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
That's perfect then. I can actually resize the droplet memory and CPU on Digital Ocean (as it is currently overkill) down to a $20 monthly plan (that's USD) which will work for the immediate future (and I'll pre-fund the first 6 months for it).

So I suggest tonight, I temporarily lock the forums, create a DO snapshot, move the snapshot to a new TriTalk team account, ensure everything is working (as DNS will be updated too), unlock the forums so it works as it is now and then hand-off the team ownership to you.

Once that part is done we'll transfer the domains and you are on your own Very Happy

That's awesome, thanks for everything over the years. This site has been invaluable hence why a few of us are so keen to try and keep it going.
TimmyG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:

That's good it's in Route53 already. We were looking at AWS as a longer term solution anyway, but had not thought through the detail yet. s3 sounds like the ideal long term solution for the static archive. And 39GB sounds a lot more manageable than 168 or 240GB Very Happy

Sub17.net - TimmyG's Blog and Epic 2010 and 2011 Outlaw Race Reports
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some issues getting the new team account verified with DO so I didn't manage to rebuild the server on that shared account yet but will get it done as soon as that issue is resolved.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Gareth! I don't have much of a clue what you guys are talking about IT hosting wise, so I'll stick to ideas and engage with potential supporters in due course Idea
AndyS..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn the witch.
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the team account verified on Digitial Ocean and have transferred a snapshot I created last week. I'll build a test droplet on this and assuming it all works as expected over the weekend I'll create a latest snapshot (after locking down the forums) and build that and hand it over.

It's viewable at test.tritalk.co.uk and it worked perfectly so shouldn't be any issues doing this again (other than the time it takes to transfer the snapshot between accounts).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: