Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cross tri in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
Im a convert to x tri in the last year as I went to Aviemore to do the Durty Triathlon. Paul McG does put on a good event. Most of the races are duathlons until later in the year. For 2018 I'm heading to Malta in April to get Xterra series underway as there is a lack of regular racing in the UK.
For GB qualification get onto the xtri hub Facebook page and reach out to Cram Eceerp. As a MTBer turned triathlete there may be a way of getting on the team etc based on experience rather than specific results as there are fewer races to rely upon.

leahnp have you booked up for Malta Xterra ? I was looking at malta or Xterra Cyprus the week after.
I raced Xterra Poland last year and made Hawaii Xterra Worlds as well, both fantastic events.
I been racing off road tri/du for a few years now (started in 90's with the Trentham Gardens annual off road triathlon )
There has been a steady decline in events over the last few years.
Ive also travelled up to Scotland from Midlands for the Durty Tri when it was BT National Champs, a brilliant event but a bit dissapointing for me as I was the only competitor in my age group
BT pulled the plug on Cross National Champs in 2012 after the coniston event which was a surprise as it was a great event and seemed well supported, OSB used to run a 3 event X duathlon series a few years ago , i think it went down to 2 events last year and just the 1 event this year.
Always Aim High introduced a Coed Y Brenin X duathlon which I entered but had to pull out with injury but that event seemed well supported, it looks like it will be running again in 2018.
I raced the European Cross Tri and Duathlon in Romania in July it was a very small GB team 40-50 ? competitors, compared to a few hundred on other GB triathlon and Duathlon teams.
Its probably worth a shout out to Marc Preece the GB team manager to see about GB team criteria.
leahnp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipkin I have booked up for Malta as I knew I could use my air miles to make the trip as cheap as possible. I used the early bird discount on the event entry as well,as Iím conscious that it is at the end of the Easter holidays.
I used Aviemore Long hard Durty Tri as a qualifier for the GB AG. I have raced AG for a number of years over different distances but wanted a new challenge.
PM me if you are going out to Malta.
grunta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: x tri Reply with quote

Sadly BTF doesnt seem interested anymore plus putting on XTERRA is very expensive. As mentioned on previous posts Paul McGreal does a great job for Scottish xtri fans plus anyone else that cares to travel to Scotland !
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: x tri Reply with quote

grunta wrote:
Sadly BTF doesnt seem interested anymore plus putting on XTERRA is very expensive. As mentioned on previous posts Paul McGreal does a great job for Scottish xtri fans plus anyone else that cares to travel to Scotland !

What is it that the BTF are/are not doing that is hindering this?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: x tri Reply with quote

grunta wrote:

beyond putting on major championships, it's not in the BTFs remit to organise events and rely on commercial organisers to do so. there is then a bidding process that event organisers can apply to for their event to become a champ event - the BTF (and Tri England/Scotland/Wales) then select which events are the champs for that year.

if the events simply aren't there, then there's not much the BTF can do
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: x tri Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
grunta wrote:

beyond putting on major championships, it's not in the BTFs remit to organise events and rely on commercial organisers to do so. there is then a bidding process that event organisers can apply to for their event to become a champ event - the BTF (and Tri England/Scotland/Wales) then select which events are the champs for that year.

in part, i agree FB...but i think the governing body has a responsibility to promote all aspects of the sport they govern and clearly this has not been the case...

tooyoungandstupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JC phrased my original post much better:

Quote:
what is it that the BTF are/are not doing that is hindering this

And it's an interesting point in a sport basically run by commercial race organisers, that if Xterra or cross tri aren't going to be profitable in the U.K., then they will cease to exist.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: x tri Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
grunta wrote:

in part, i agree FB...but i think the governing body has a responsibility to promote all aspects of the sport they govern and clearly this has not been the case...

can't disagree there eJC but equally if nobody is putting on the events why should the BTF promote something that people can't compete in?? when the last TE cross duathlon champs were held in 2015 at Hole Park, there were less than 30 taking part - the fact it was a champ event didn't seem to bring the numbers.

one comment that seems to be relevant is that many triathletes don't have a MTB - if anything they have a preference to have multiple road bikes, rather than 1 or 2 and a MTB - so they have no experience of off-roading which is sad as it's a great way of keeping fit over winter when the roads can be pretty sh1te - go get muddy instead and build the legs and learn some decent handling skills. but it seems people would prefer to sit on a turbo than go out onto the tracks. maybe this is something that coaches could pick up on???
Tahr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing the Bowhill Duathlon series, which is held near Selkirk south Scotland, it is my first experience of competitive MTBing, the first race was last month and I quite enjoyed it. In October in SW Scotland we have the Hardrock Challenge which is very popular, there used to be a dirty tri at St Mary's Loch on the Saturday with the "road" tri on the Sunday just up the road from Bowhill.

ATB

Tahr

Fitness forged in the furnace of competition.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: x tri Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
grunta wrote:

can't disagree there eJC but equally if nobody is putting on the events why should the BTF promote something that people can't compete in?? when the last TE cross duathlon champs were held in 2015 at Hole Park, there were less than 30 taking part - the fact it was a champ event didn't seem to bring the numbers.

one comment that seems to be relevant is that many triathletes don't have a MTB - if anything they have a preference to have multiple road bikes, rather than 1 or 2 and a MTB - so they have no experience of off-roading which is sad as it's a great way of keeping fit over winter when the roads can be pretty sh1te - go get muddy instead and build the legs and learn some decent handling skills. but it seems people would prefer to sit on a turbo than go out onto the tracks. maybe this is something that coaches could pick up on???

absolutely...but this is a bit chicken and egg...part of the push to get people active could focus specifically on off road (easy terrain) races from which BTF get publicity and numbers are ROs get extra exposure and numbers...

TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big shout out to http://www.eventrexuk.co.uk who put on a GREAT series of Cross duathlons around the South of England. I only managed to get down to two of the races last year, but they were both excellently run and good courses.

Don't go expecting fire roads and gravel paths though, they're proper MTB courses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: