Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
FFS If I see another 'cheap jersey'...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: FFS If I see another 'cheap jersey'... Reply with quote

This is a screenshot of the IP addresses/users that bombarded us this morning with three million friggin' opportunities to improve our winter wardrobe.

I'm not confident enough with the admin panel to do the necessary in case I make a big mistake so perhaps someone could do the honours?

Thanks...

My 15 minutes of fame
AndyS..

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't undo a ban on an IP address so be cautions. We've already banned the whole of the southern hemisphere by mistake. Very Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally just delete the user and ban the email addy. One year ago almost to the day Gareth was ready to hand all this over so we could put new software on but we are still here wasting hours deleting overnight posts.
Gus

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've done the username and email address, and I'll leave the IP alone for now...

My 15 minutes of fame
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Username and email address won't do squat. The spammers have scripts to change email addresses and random usernames so thats pointless.

The only thing that has any effect is an IP block, so if they have posted then you've done the right thing and got the Ip address of the posting. What normally happens is I start seeing a string of new accounts with zero posts and a couple of days letter they spam once they are confident the accounts have not been deleted. Accounts with no posts also get caught up by webcrawlers trying SEO and there's one little sh!t called Steve Barbar* who spams the entire internet claiming to be a web guru but is 100% a spammer.

So when you have an actual post and an IP address you need to work out where they are posting from. in Chrome, I use 'where is XXXX' and it allows you to identify the ISP concerned. If its from Myanmar, India, Pakistan, Tuvalu and whole lot of other unlikely places, then its almost certainly a spam factory. I then look up the ISP range and block most of that ISP.

That particular IP address is from Zenlayer in LA so regardless of whether its a specific user, or a VPN portal, we dont want them on the board again. We could ban one IP address but they probably have several so best block ban a larger group. Zenlayer also has a large IP range in China so its a fair bet they are using the US IP range to spam.

So set the banlist to 107.150.107.* as its the USA. If it was an IP address from a far, near or middle eastern IP address I'd block ban 107.150.*.*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: