Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bedford classic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazz625

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it at 9.5K. It's defo a bit short.

But then again, most races have it a little different I'm finding, bike long, run or swim short, etc.... Which is kind of good in a way. It's more about you placing than the splits...

Don't you think?

For example.... I got a 29th for my age group. Thats OK.. Not great day for me, drank half the river, legs fell asleep on the bike (I hate the wind!!), woke up about half way through the run!

But it nice to simply treat it as a complete race end to end.

Anyway, that's what I think.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivmeistergeneral wrote:

JC, I wouldn't have given you such a big high 5 had I known you'd been there all day clapping Wink

And I would have waited til your last lap if I knew you were going to just slow down after I had gone!

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Felty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivmeistergeneral wrote:
Enjoyed catching up with a few TT buddies on Sunday. A 2:12 for me.

Tried a different tactic in the swim start and ended up right in the middle of the washing machine. Lesson learnt.

I didn't see any drafting on the bike myself, but that's because I was so far back after the swim I spent most of my time overtaking people on the bike. A couple of people tried to hang onto my wheel when I came past, but a 30s spurt was enough to shake them off. Was very surprised at the lack of draft busters though. Bike times from the top two guys were near enough identical... hmmm!

Went out a bit too hard on the first run lap and ran out of steam a bit, still managed a 35min run split although I think it was about 200m short.

JC, I wouldn't have given you such a big high 5 had I known you'd been there all day clapping Wink

Was also funny to see leeds_army's Trek Speed Concept get "out-wowwed" by a Scott Plasma. Very Happy

I think that Plasma has to be the best looking and designed bike I've seen to date!!. I gawped at it in transition for a while! Do you know who the lucky rider was?

Theres some good gallery pics of it here (retail version I think):

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2010/07/21/gallery-scott-plasma-3/?pid=2400

PS. Many thanks indeed JC. Your support was much appreciated!
B.B.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a cracking race again (enjoyed it last year as well).

This was my first race post IM, and was looking forward to seeing what I had in my legs 6 weeks after IMDE, and having placed well with 2.09 at Windsor pre IM.

Turns out I didn't really get to find out as I p*nctured at about mile 10 on the bike! Mad

Decent but slower than hoped swim of 23.40 or so (out of the water, not to the mat). Weeds slowed me down a bit, and didn't go out hard enough to catch the feet of the fast lads. Lesson learnt. In high quality fields have to head out hard. On the positive side, looks like the swim was shortened a bit compared to last year (both start and turnaround??) so distance more accurate.

Was working really hard on the bike, with the aim of riding as hard as possible and dealing with it on the run. Was going well, with avg speed of about 23.5mph... then my front went. Toyed with DNF-ing, but realised I was so far out that I'd need to change and ride in anyway, so changed it in a leisurely 9 mins, and got back to it. Lost my race head for quite a while, but managed to wind myself back up and ride hard for the run back into town.

Run was OK - no race head urgency, and round in 38.45 for 2.22. So probably something around 2.12-2.13 without the stop, subject to me not trashing my run legs the way I was riding. Felt I was running more like 40 pace, so it was probably 300m short or so??

Drafting... I saw a fair bit out there, and it was made worse by a high quality field heading out on small country roads that were very narrow, all in a tight timeframe. There was certainly more than last year, but that was on wider roads. The lack of draft busters was pretty poor, I thought. As I was in the last wave, my p*ncture meant I was right at the back of the field, so it was lovely riding back there with clear roads - very little drafting seen then!

I was racked about 5 bikes down from the Scott Plasma. F*cking awesome looking bike!!

Thanks Steve and crew - other than the lack of draftbusters, that was a great race. And thanks JC for the support - much appreciated on a quiet bit of the course.
JW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leedsarmy wrote:
tivmeistergeneral wrote:
Was also funny to see leeds_army's Trek Speed Concept get "out-wowwed" by a Scott Plasma. Very Happy

Ooohhhh you bitch Twisted Evil

At least i got to tuck mine up in bed last night, he had only borrowed his from HTC Colombia and would have to give it back Razz

Nice run split mate, wish my running was where yours is right now

Blame your gay slippers for your slow run split ;o) Razz Twisted Evil

I think there must have been some serious drafting at the top end of the field, or at least that is one of my excuses for not getting the fastest bike split. The top 2 bike splits are slightly suspect as I normally whoop the winner on the bike leg... I just suck at swimming and running, and he is awesome . Mad
N11sml

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great race. started in the last wave. Did not see any drafting at all from the position i was in. Did however nearly see the side of a caravan as it blocked up an entire exit on an island and had to stop, loosing some time and places.

Swim was great, even with the weeds

Bike was fantatstic, Police were amazing. Coming towards the last island they stopped the traffic both ways for me to cross.

Run was great, JC what an effort, i was in my BRAT club kit and you clapped every time i went passed. On the last lap i could only manage a hand wave.

The bit coming towards the boat club was hard because their was an ice cream stand. Should have bought some money and got and got one.

Thanks for the excellent organisation and fantastic support. Well done to the guys pulling out of the water, was a big help.
Andy G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellently organised as ever.

Great police presence on the roads, stopping traffic at roundabouts and assisting with the right turns.

Didn't see any draft-busters myself, but didn't see much drafting from my position towards the back.

Run appeared short from my time, but felt ultra-long, given I was dragging my injured right leg around which was really giving me grief. Probably should have stepped off the course after the bike or after the first lap of the run.

Andy G
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know who was taking photos out there? I lost the flyer that was in the "goodie" bag.
B.B.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lot:
http://gallery.sussexsportphotography.com/gallery.tlx
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul
disasterP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizzy wrote:
Not a great day for me, someone stole my legs. Wink Good event though and I enjoyed the day once I stopped running.

Anyway, one thing I can vouch for is that the front of wave 3 and 4 rode all legal. I didn't see any drafting AT ALL, which to me was a huge surprise. What went on behind me I don't know, of course. For the first 30k I was constantly overtaking people. And here comes my rant... I don't expect anyone to be riding in the gutter. And if the road surface is particularly bad then it is ok to move further into the road (after checking for traffic behind), but more than 10 of the ladies I overtook were riding just marginally to the left of the centre line. To overtake I had to use the other lane! That meant I had to slow down because I sometimes couldn't see whether there was oncoming traffic. And this was so frequent that I eventually just resorted to shouting 'keep left!'. I'm not sure whether this falls into what is called blocking, but it was pretty annoying. It's just like people on the motorway doing 65 in the right hand lane when the left hand lane is empty! Mad

Hello lizzy, I thought I saw you in transition, wasn't sure though, did you have an all green cycle helmet? I've was looking for one to wear at the Outlaw but couldn't find one at all. What was yours?
Wasn't sure if saw you because you didn't collect a medal Shocked now I know why. Hope your next race is better.

I was spectating next to the embankment road as people were coming out of T1 and getting onto bikes, some trying to roll whilst putting shoes on Rolling Eyes (i can't do it so shouldn't laugh) anyway getting to my point....
I was disappointed to see a number of riders blatently throw their gel wrappers on the floor, (even right infront of me), in too much of a hurry to bother about anything else Sad I hope that this also isn't becoming a common thing at these 'championships' with riders more worried about positions than anything else. I did walk along picking them up from the drive ways, and pavement. I wonder what the rest of the course looked like afterwards?

May we all be Merry Men & Ladies Very Happy

Last edited by disasterP on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
divsdaz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does any one no who the person was who cam off the bike saw him walking back in to tranistion with some nice road rash
ollyp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divsdaz wrote:
does any one no who the person was who cam off the bike saw him walking back in to tranistion with some nice road rash

One of my friends came off with resulting road rash, but got back on and finished the race.

O

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the race on Sunday and thought it was well organised.

explorerJC - Thank you for your support as always! Managed to find the first aid station in the end. Just glad it wasn't any worse!

JW - Your legs will definitely come back and more after all that hill training!

ollyp - Well done on your race!

lizzie - It was nice to meet and speak to you at this race after Worthing. Good luck with your PhD and your new coach.

Felty - Please try not to get in to any more "fights" with cars - they are much bigger than you Wink

"I didn't want to come swimming at all to-day, but if, when in, I decide to practise a slight circular movement from right to left...it is nobody's business but my own."
A.A. Milne

Last edited by Bean :-) on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Felty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean Smile wrote:
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the race on Sunday and thought it was well organised.

JC - Thank you for your support as always! Managed to find the first aid station in the end. Just glad it wasn't any worse!

JW - Your legs will definitely come back and more after all that hill training!

ollyp - Well done on your race!

lizzie - It was nice to meet and speak to you at this race after Worthing. Good luck with your PhD and your new coach.

Felty - Please try not to get in to any more "fights" with cars - they are much bigger than you Wink

I believe the car started it. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: