Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice GB. That's shifting mate. Cool
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Parlov session so I was running with whatever rest my partner allowed me to have! Think I averaged about 80s recovery
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
Decided on a solo 5km TT down on the river. Checked the wind, and made sure i had it behind me for the fits 1km or so as it was howling and freezing! Didn't really have a target per se, but set out with the intention of running 3:40's, maybe 3.45's if i started struggling.

Good going, is that on the Exe path - lots of boardwalk stuff? Or is there another route where you can avoid that?

No, this was at work up in Exeter. It's all concrete path, but there were a few diversions to negotiate, but on the whole a decent enough stretch.

i actually like the boardwalks on the river exe up from Exmouth though. Something about the slight bit of give and the noise of it, kind of gets me in the zone.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back on it Sam, but what is a Parlov session? Not heard that on before.

I did see a nasty looking session the other day that i fancy trying, think it was called a 'Michigan'. Jesse Thomas was doing it and it looked brutal.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parlov/Paarlauf (I have no idea if there's a difference between the two Confused ) is basically just a relay session.

You pair up with another runner to do your reps, one rests while the other hammers it! For 400m it's really easy, once you've finished your rep you just tag the other runner and wait for them to get back around.

You can do it in reps of 500m/300m if the pair is quite different in speeds.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a corruption of Parlauf...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
It was a Parlov session so I was running with whatever rest my partner allowed me to have! Think I averaged about 80s recovery

Although this is a quality (and fun) session...if you were to run 'off' a certain time you will be able to learn to accurately control your pace as well as gradually reduce the interval...

If you can run 68s off approx 2:30s you should be able to gradually reduce that interval down towards 2 mins.....it may mean running slightly slower initially to compensate for the reduced recovery, but it would be an excellent 4 - 6 month target

gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Although this is a quality (and fun) session...if you were to run 'off' a certain time you will be able to learn to accurately control your pace as well as gradually reduce the interval...

If you can run 68s off approx 2:30s you should be able to gradually reduce that interval down towards 2 mins.....it may mean running slightly slower initially to compensate for the reduced recovery, but it would be an excellent 4 - 6 month target

To be fair, Sam is probably WAY below 68sec reps, i think he's just getting back into things.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eJC, where do you 'stand' on active v. static recovery period? Better to jog or just hands on knees, catch your breath walk about a bit?

"Minute Jogs" was a staple of my running club back in the day, you could usually find one of the groups doing up to 16x 400m repeats with a 1 minute recovery most weeks. People would split it up to suit, if you wanted quality, miss every other and do 8x400 off ~4min, if you were slightly off the back then miss every 3rd or 4th for 4x3x400 or 5x2x400. The holy grail was to hit 60s for the 400 to keep run and recovery symetrical. Think the closest I ever got was 12x400 in 64s.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
eJC, where do you 'stand' on active v. static recovery period? Better to jog or just hands on knees, catch your breath walk about a bit?

"Minute Jogs" was a staple of my running club back in the day, you could usually find one of the groups doing up to 16x 400m repeats with a 1 minute recovery most weeks. People would split it up to suit, if you wanted quality, miss every other and do 8x400 off ~4min, if you were slightly off the back then miss every 3rd or 4th for 4x3x400 or 5x2x400. The holy grail was to hit 60s for the 400 to keep run and recovery symetrical. Think the closest I ever got was 12x400 in 64s.

Firstly, the word j*g is an abomination and I cannot even bring myself to type it....

So, when running at high intensity, the heart is trying to get oxygenated blood to the working muscles. When you stop running, you are reliant on the heart to continue this process, but without the mobilisation of the legs to assist moving the deoxygenated blood back through venal return. Therefore my recommendation is always active recovering using a combination of drills to enhance to running movements.

The 1 minute interval is fine depending on the objective and the target pace. If you are running close to 60 secs for multiple (or say up to 70s) then it forms a good strength endurance set off 2 mins. For those that can't hang on, then dropping 1 in 3 or 4 is good. The aim should be consistent paced reps and retention of form throughout.

Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it was an ex-PE teacher that told me a jog was running form at walking pace. I don't have a problem with the term jog, to mean easy running. Jogger on the other hand...

So I just did a lunchtime session of 12x 60s on / 60s off, along the flat straight road near work. If you ignore the 2nd rep (slowest due to hump back bridge and still dialing in pace) they were all 75s pace +/-2sec so not too bad. The recovery jogs got progressively slower mind.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Think it was an ex-PE teacher that told me a jog was running form at walking pace. I don't have a problem with the term jog, to mean easy running. Jogger on the other hand...

So I just did a lunchtime session of 12x 60s on / 60s off, along the flat straight road near work. If you ignore the 2nd rep (slowest due to hump back bridge and still dialing in pace) they were all 75s pace +/-2sec so not too bad. The recovery jogs got progressively slower mind.

Whereas it really means walking at running pace...hence all the running injuries since the 60s...

75s 400 pace with 60s secs rec is good...

gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like i can genuinely be in here again! Very Happy

Surprised myself in a club session on Tuesday, it was a (just over) 5km handicap run on the seafront. Hadn't done one of these before, and it was quite cool. Most finished within a min of each other and, despite obviously understanding the maths behind it, it was still really cool to see it all concertinaing (is that a word?) at the end. Being the penultimate one to start, everyone looked VERY far away at the turn around point!

It was a vile headwind and horrible rain all the way out, so i resolved to keep a decent but conservative pace locked in and then negative split on both time and effort on the way back. Luckliy was running side by side with a friend, who probably helped me push the first half harder than i would have alone. I don't think i would've had the confidence alone, having not run 'proper' quick in a long, long time!

Managed to pull away from him, which i was very suprised by, in the last km to come in at about 17.55. So really pleased with that.

it seems that the shorter stuff comes back to me much quicker, and i haven't lost too much speed in my pursuit of stupidly long distance running!

I've got another 100 miler in 6 weeks, but that's more of a jolly. So i'll continue to work on my speed, but throw in some long stuff and hilly stuff as well. Doubt it'll hurt.

Depending on how much the 100 breaks me, hopefully i can have a crack at some decent times later in the summer.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice GB. 20.19 is my closest this year Sad
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done GB. Hoping to go sub 18 too shortly after the mara is out of the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 47 of 51

Jump to: