Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Absolute beginner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-f-c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Absolute beginner Reply with quote

Finding my way around here, apologies if this isn't in the right section.

I've never been an energetic or sporty type, but the last few years the urge to do a tri has been growing, I really fancy giving the beginners tri in Liverpool a go. I know I can complete the elements individually, and the allotted time, but there's a catch. The fly in the ointment is I'm morbidly obese. However, I do see competitors bigger than myself and I believe I can do this (just finishing it is my first target!)

Apart from losing weight, is there any advice on where to start with all this?

Ps - I'm a middle aged fat bloke if that makes any difference
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why you can't do a tri. The swim and the bike, even carrying excess weight, shouldnt be a problem. I know some decent ex-swimmers who have "let themselves go", and they can still fly in the water.

The only word of caution is the run. The excess weight could put undue stress and strain on parts of the legs/hips that could do some longer term damage. So I would build up to that slowly and start to increase the run volume after spending a fair bit of time on the other two sports. You should naturally have lost a bit of weight doing a fair bit of swim and bike.
gruffT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I'm by no means an expert but as often said in these parts, consistency is key. Start off small but try and do something most days and just build up, both in strength (in terms of stability and support muscles) and fitness. You'll get there and (hopefully) enjoy the process while avoiding injury.

Let us know how you get on!
'16 Gin pits, Midnighman, London Duathlon then what....
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do each part on their own, you are 95% guaranteed to be able to do them all on the day simply because of the atmosphere. Keep calm, have fun and just go for it. Who knows, you might like it in which case you will just have found a gamechanger in your life. Losing weight is unavoidable after that.

Some of the overweight/fat/obese people I have talked in to starting have worried about being too self-conscious to get in to triathlon. I however have the utmost respect for especially these people since taking that first step is so much bigger than any I have taken. And I know a lot others think the same, so just be prepared that you are likely to get more cheers and shouts of encouragement than most others. It really is quite friendly.

Go do it, let us know how it went and then ask how you progress if you want more. There's a helluwa lot of knowledge around here, don't be shy to tap in to it.

And welcome to tritalk. Smile
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it.

Build up your training slowly and consistently.

Have a good, honest look at your nutrition, fuelling (consign the word diet to the bin) and recovery.

Do not expect sudden massive weight loss or massive performance gain, it's a slowly slowly catchey monkey kind of thing.

You'll be fine Smile
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K 18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
fenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely do it.

If you want to lose weight - don't think you'll do it with exercise - its the intake you need to address.

Start doing the 5-2 diet and weight will drop off you. Less weight reduces the risk of injury when running.

Good luck with it.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you made contact with a local tri club?

Tri clubs are hugely welcoming and have members from all backgrounds and sporting ability. It might seem daunting but it will be worthwhile.
b-f-c

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome guys. And the reassuring comments

The run is the part that I'm cautious of. I know my weight is giving me occasional joint problems and will be taking it slowly to help build up strength in the right areas. High impact has historically been an issue for me (well pounding my weight around years ago tells me my body is less forgiving of me now)

Fenix - Weighing up diet plan, I think the 5:2 sounds like it might be suitable, especially as I've always had a food / weight problem (as in nearly 40 years of obesity).

I'm planning to ramp back up existing swim and riding plans I was doing previously. For the run, I'm thinking the C25K might be a good place to start, with then starting to mix the sessions together.

Cat5 in the Hat - The idea of a club is a little daunting, especially as the local clubs I've seen all appear to be incredibly slick - I'm not in anyway slick! Maybe confidence might grow as I get back into practice and I'll reconsider

Chrace - I'm hoping this is a turning point. I've NEVER been sporty, ever, and this just really appeals to me. There's a lot of blogs out here for plus size ladies and how they get on, but us bigger blokes are few and far between it would seem.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was around 19st when I got back into triathlon a couple of years ago after a lengthy break due to various reasons such as family, a bit of a health scare etc. I had dabbled many years before but have been overweight to some degree most of my life.

I'm 46 now and just over 15st (bit more to go) and would endorse all of the comments you've had so far.

I would also add that something like My Fitness Pal is helpful in terms of intake, not permanently but for a few weeks at the start and then return to it every now and again. It can be quite a shock what you're taking in when you actually record it all.

Don't be put off from joining a club, I joined my local club which also has some very high level athletes and got nothing but support and encouragement from everyone. One of my first long runs I was accompanied by a guy who said he hadn't done much running since October, so was happy to go as slow as I liked. The October he referred to was Kona.

I've had a bit of calf trouble from running and have now settled on leaving 2 clear days between runs (still bike and swim) and not had any trouble since.

All the best and consistency is key, don't let a missed day or two get you down, just keep chipping away.
b-f-c

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I was around 19st when I got back into triathlon a couple of years ago after a lengthy break due to various reasons such as family, a bit of a health scare etc.

This reassures me. Except I'm 23st. Health concerns, busy family life and I've NEVER been sporty, so for me wanting to compete / be active is a whole new world. Getting active daily, just small amounts to begin with,

I'm using both myfitnesspal and mapmyfitness. And I'm being brutally honest on both - which is shaming me into sorting this out!
tin pot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b-f-c wrote:
JaRok2300 wrote:
I was around 19st when I got back into triathlon a couple of years ago after a lengthy break due to various reasons such as family, a bit of a health scare etc.

This reassures me. Except I'm 23st. Health concerns, busy family life and I've NEVER been sporty, so for me wanting to compete / be active is a whole new world. Getting active daily, just small amounts to begin with,

I'm using both myfitnesspal and mapmyfitness. And I'm being brutally honest on both - which is shaming me into sorting this out!

Good on you - just a word of caution, don't base your eating on the calorie figures in my fitness pal.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K 18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small and often is the way to go.

Can you commute to work by bike? Or if you take the car, underground or bus, can you bring a bike? Get off a 2 miles before your normal stop and bike the rest. Same on the way back, or not, if you feel it's too much that day. But then do it again the next day instead. Yes, it might be raining and cold so get a hi-vis rain jacket and lights (and a helmet).

It'll take you a week or two, then you'll feel like doing it both ways. Then you'll feel like doing 3 or 4 miles each way. Before you know it, you'll sleep and feel better.

Run would be walk(/jog) and only very small distances. 1-2 miles is plenty. A couple of times per week, add on the bike and you'll see benefits very fast.

You'll most likely know when you can increase distance if you listen to your body. If you overdo it because you think that small amounts don't count you'll likely get injured and feel less like going out. That'll mentally wreck the entire process for you.

A friend of mine has just been through it. He's hooked on sports now. Smile
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start in the pool, get some lessons sorted to get the basic technique and build up the distance. You can get great fitness gains in the pool and its the most technical part so all the time spent is worth it.

Bike, just go out and ride! start off with 30mins , take it easy. dont eat sports nutrition or anything, you wont need it and it will be a surefire way of halting weight loss. Just getting the miles in at this stage will help bike handling skills and build fitness. Gradually build the "long ride" distance out to an hour, 90mins 2hours etc. no more than 10% extra per week

run - pick a shortish 1 mile loop and go out and run 30secs walk 30secs for 1 lap, try and do this as much as possible, 6 days a week if you can! It will slowly build the body enough strength to cope with the strain. Then gradually adjust the run/ walk ratios. Maybe after a couple of weeks make 1 day 2 laps, then 2 days 2 laps, then 3 laps. Gradually build the distances and the amount of run to walk time until before you know it, a few months later you are easily running 3 miles and over 6 days could be doing 10miles a week! keep going and in time you'll, have a long run of 6miles, and some shorter runs in the week and the weight will be falling off and the fitness better than you ever imagined.

Key is if anything starts to hurt back off and keep it all at a very easy intensity for now. Get a heart rate monitor to help measure effort.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember, ~#*$ what anyone else thinks.

Its hard starting out. You think everyone is pointing and laughing at the fat man in his running clothes. They aren't. Most people just couldn't give a #@?#.

Us sporty types are just thinking good on him, Great to see him making an effort and not sat on the sofa stuffing his face.

And the odd nasty jealous person might pour scorn on you as they are on their way to the sofa to stuff their faces. You really shouldn't care what they think.

But I know its easy to tell yourself this and harder to Truly ignore it in real life. I felt such an idiot when I started running. The constant feeling I was being sneered at.

But do you know what cured it? Running. Eventually you just stop caring if you just keep doing it.
b-f-c

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great advice, I've actually printed the thread off so I can continue to digest it

I'm actually beginning to believe I can do this! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: