Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your Garmin Questions Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 394
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, I guess the nature of the ride (200W uphill, 0W downhill) could have created a repeated situation similar to your example.

Still feels a bit weird but I guess I need to work harder downhill and stop using them as rests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5336
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been training and racing (tri and cycling) gadget free for over 8yrs now. As HR monitors and PMs died, I just never replaced them.

So I'm way out of the game gadget wise and been relying on my trusty 20 IM watch for years. I'm not interested in a bike specific computer but I am interested in wearable tech.

If I were to get something like a Fenix 5, could I set it up in a way that was completely private but I could see my own ride and run? Not interested in Strava, I'd rather pin a number on, so that doesn't bother me.

I just want the ability to see my complete efforts, have it hidden from anyone else but may want the ability to connect with TR.

Is this possible? I have no idea how Garmin Connect/Express works or how public TR is?

Cheers
Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 10152
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For both Strava and Connect, you can mark data as Private so nobody else can see it.
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 394
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way of splitting an activity into laps after it was done?
I did a session on the rollers last night where I increased the speed by 1kph every 3mins to see the power required for each speed.
The graph is quite sketchy so it would be good to have each 3mins as a lap so it gave me an average speed and power for the period.
I'm not great on the rollers so pressing the lap button on my watch would likely have resulted in death!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1863

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware on garmin connect. But on other platforms it's fairly straightforward. On strava for example, on the analyze window (the one with all the graphs of speed, cadence, power, HR, etc) you can just drag and drop over the period you are interested in, and on the left it will give you the max and averages for the section you have just selected.

For example


(you just double click on the window to reset the zoom)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 276

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I've been training and racing (tri and cycling) gadget free for over 8yrs now. As HR monitors and PMs died, I just never replaced them.

So I'm way out of the game gadget wise and been relying on my trusty 20 IM watch for years. I'm not interested in a bike specific computer but I am interested in wearable tech.

If I were to get something like a Fenix 5, could I set it up in a way that was completely private but I could see my own ride and run? Not interested in Strava, I'd rather pin a number on, so that doesn't bother me.

I just want the ability to see my complete efforts, have it hidden from anyone else but may want the ability to connect with TR.

Is this possible? I have no idea how Garmin Connect/Express works or how public TR is?

Cheers
Cool


Garmin Connect is private by default, you record on the watch and sync to phone. Noone else needs to know. You can send the data to TP which can also be set to private. If you don't want segments/social stuff just don't both with Strava, there is nothing else it does which is worth using over GC or TP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TriSam




Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 1279
Location: Tunbridge Wells

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Is there a way of splitting an activity into laps after it was done?
I did a session on the rollers last night where I increased the speed by 1kph every 3mins to see the power required for each speed.
The graph is quite sketchy so it would be good to have each 3mins as a lap so it gave me an average speed and power for the period.
I'm not great on the rollers so pressing the lap button on my watch would likely have resulted in death!


Can't get onto the website at work, but www.fitfiletools.com is a good way to trim down/manipulate files that you've messed up with your Garmin. I've used it to stitch two garmin files together, but not 100% sure if you can split a file down into multiple laps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 394
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Not that I'm aware on garmin connect. But on other platforms it's fairly straightforward. On strava for example, on the analyze window (the one with all the graphs of speed, cadence, power, HR, etc) you can just drag and drop over the period you are interested in, and on the left it will give you the max and averages for the section you have just selected.

For example


(you just double click on the window to reset the zoom)


Thanks Stenard, never knew you could do that, worked perfectly for what I wanted.
As for the quoted resistance curve of my rollers, that's another story, 210W at 20kph is about double what they're supposed to be but at least it explains why I've been so slow on roller sessions all these years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 394
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenix 2 not picking up power for 2nd ride of a double brick.

Did a bike/run/bike/run session last night and have got no power data for the 2nd bike. The first bike is fine and I know the power meter was still transmitting for the 2nd as it was showing on the head unit on the bike.

Any ideas why the Fenix wouldn't have picked it up or anything I should be doing during transition to make sure it reconnects.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So latest issue. A couple of times in Triathlons now, my Edge (520) hasn't re-connected with my PM when it wakes-up after T1. In fact yesterday the HRM didn't re-connect either. No problems with my 920xt or my new 735xt, they pick-up the sensors again after the swim.

I'm pretty sure it re-connected when I did the 113 though; so what am I doing wrong in these two cases?
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8653
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Garmin make their watch straps out of cheese? I've had 4 different Garmin watches and the straps have broken on all of them.

My latest is a Forerunner 735. I've just noticed that the strap has split where the fastener goes into the hole. I've had it since last Christmas and worn it pretty much continuously since then (lots of sweat and chlorinated pool water), but as it's designed as an activity tracker and multi-sport watch, that doesn't seem like an unreasonably amount of wear and tear Mad
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Wattbike, Le Marq, Wahoo, BOA, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on Garmin HRM straps, especially now they're integrated. Utter sh!t!

I moved to a Wahoo Tickr - highly recommended. Sensor & strap separate too, so you can wash it and replace when worn. Half the price of the HRM TRI too, which lasted me 6 months FFS. I got a refund on that one & bought the Wahoo.

I have a 735XT now, but the wrist HR is useless; it has me at 135bpm walking about sometimes Rolling Eyes Just get the Tickr
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1863

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Do Garmin make their watch straps out of cheese? I've had 4 different Garmin watches and the straps have broken on all of them.

My latest is a Forerunner 735. I've just noticed that the strap has split where the fastener goes into the hole. I've had it since last Christmas and worn it pretty much continuously since then (lots of sweat and chlorinated pool water), but as it's designed as an activity tracker and multi-sport watch, that doesn't seem like an unreasonably amount of wear and tear Mad

I'm on my third strap for the 920xt in about two and quarter years of owning the watch. It's failed in the same place both times. As you say, I wear mine 24/7.

Apparently Garmin will replace them for free if you moan. But both times I've spotted the cracks in mine, its been on the eve of key races, and I havent had time to faff around with Garmin customer care. So I've just bought replacements to avoid the risk of a mid race clash of arms resulting in my watch being at the bottom of the ocean.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17748
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right - you mean watch straps...yeah, they're pretty sh!t too Evil or Very Mad
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1938
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So latest issue. A couple of times in Triathlons now, my Edge (520) hasn't re-connected with my PM when it wakes-up after T1. In fact yesterday the HRM didn't re-connect either. No problems with my 920xt or my new 735xt, they pick-up the sensors again after the swim.

I'm pretty sure it re-connected when I did the 113 though; so what am I doing wrong in these two cases?


I posted the solution to this in another thread a couple of days ago, I think.

Pair the 520 with power meter before swim. Activate 'Auto-pause when not moving'.
As you leave transition press START and it will start then immediately stop.
When you start running with the bike it will start again and off you go.

I've not done a triathlon with my 520 yet but I have done it with an 800 for 3 years and it has always worked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.